Gun Suggestions for the Wife?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been hit on elsewhere in this thread but is worth repeating. I think most people when shopping for a firearm for their wives/girlfriends tend to look at the smaller weapons in full sized calibers. These firearms typically have a more harsh 'snappier' recoil then their full sized counterparts. I think the best thing to do is to purchase a reputable semi-auto .22 caliber to train her on. This will allow her to get used to the function of a firearm without any harsh recoil. As an added benefit...you get a .22! After this then step up to a full sized caliber with a firearm that she picks out and fits her best. I have taught many people to shoot over the years and always start new shooters out with a .22.

J

Jckellison

The whole family went in for our CC licensing a few years ago.

Dad liked his buddies LCP, as did I for size. The strictly engineered "defense" loads are more impressive each year.

Mom liked my 686, but didn't like the size. She settled for a S&W 640.
It's stainless frame/chassis handles 38 like butter, yet still has the weight to throw 357's downrange in a ball of awesome fire.

Airweight J-Frames tend to scare the mother due to recoil.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Ruger LC9 yesterday and my wife and I shot it today and she enjoyed it. Th recoil wasn't that bad, especially for her. She was able to manage the recoil of it quite well since she never shot pistols that much growing up, rifles and shotguns she has a lot of experience with. So check out the LC9, couldn't hurt to take a look except the bank account, lol.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might look at the S&W Bodyguard line. My wife has a .380 flavor and she seems to llike it well enough. Agreed that she should make the final decision on which one she likes.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my wife a .38 m85ul hammerless, but the trigger is just too heavy for her. I got her a p238 and the problem now is ME...lol. (I like it alot, so i carry it). Bought her a FNP45 tactical....lol. Now im trying to decide what to get her next. Maybe for her birthday i can get her a 300 blkout sbr. Im such a horrible husband :fullauto:

Ive learned that if she wants a gun she needs to find one! One that she likes, and when she does ill be there to put in my .02. What im trying to say is take her to the LGS and let HER shop around, while you stand somewhere else. Im sure she will find whats perfect for her. (This is how women shop best)

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is does not have strong hands or wrists but is able to handle the P238 slide and recoil well. Much better than the Keltec or the Rugars. They are a little pricey, but that is a one time deal for her to have something that she can easily operate. She likes the sights for learning, and is practicing pointing without the sights and then turning the laser on to see how close she was pointing, and getting pretty good at that. You might take a look at one if you can.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife loves her Glock 19 for vehicle carry but carries a Colt Mustang .380 or her S&W 36(.38 spl.) around our property or in her purse. She has a hard time racking the slide on my DB9 and the KAHR CW9 but the Mustang is very easy for her and I'm sure the Sig 238 would be the same. I'm very interested in the Sig 938 and can't wait to handle and shoot one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom