Gunsmith Classes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunsmith classes at murry involve building your own tools and then building a Rifle with those tools.
Not for the timid as It would be like an auto mechanic class having you build your own tools and then build a motor from a pile of iron with those tools.

If you can take a clock apart and put it back together (and make it work) then you can be a gunsmith without going to school.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gunsmith classes at murry involve building your own tools and then building a Rifle with those tools.
Not for the timid as It would be like an auto mechanic class having you build your own tools and then build a motor from a pile of iron with those tools.

If you can take a clock apart and put it back together (and make it work) then you can be a gunsmith without going to school.

With that said, I am a mechanic, so...

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
They already started this year. And have already begun taking applications for 2013 Aug. they only accept the 20 best applicants and require background checks and personal interviews. My app is being sent in and I'm about to set up my interview. It's about $16,000+ for the 2 years included tools and books. The list of tool YOU NEED TO BUY adds up to $4,800.

They have lots of firearms manufacturers come down to the school to show students about their guns and I assume they become armorer certified with each

sumoslam62

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also been interested in the summer courses, I think I could spend a week learning whatever course and really enjoy myself as well as learn something new...any one else have feedback on the Murry State Classes? Thinking I might schedule a week of vacation next summer and take one.

Anyone???

SuMo

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
id go for it. if anything its good to learn a few things so you can take better care of your firearms, or learn a few new tricks to fix things

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does a person acting as a gunsmith need an FFL to keep a gun outside of immediate supervision of the owner?
If you keep it over night you do.
You can setup at a gunshow and do gunsmithing without an ffl as long as the person comes back for it by close of show each day.
However thats how they(Batfe) trap amateur gunsmiths. Leave a gun then don't pick it up, then harass the crap out of you and threaten jail time.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most gunsmiths around (several on OSA) have degrees from "Phoenix State University". You send them $100, they send you a workbook and a "degree". There aren't any classes involved.

Latest posts

Top Bottom