Gunsmith question: Rem 788 bolt handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother (dlbleak) picked up a Rem 788 in 30-30 for a song but it has a broken bolt handle. There isn't much metal on that section of the bolt to weld to but I took a shot at it with my TIG. I sent the bolt back to him and the handle snapped off again.

This seems to be fairly common on these 788s or at least it appears that way via a Google search. Do any of the 'smiths on the board have any suggestions? I'd like to take another crack at welding it but just want to make sure I'm not doing more damage than good.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother (dlbleak) picked up a Rem 788 in 30-30 for a song but it has a broken bolt handle. There isn't much metal on that section of the bolt to weld to but I took a shot at it with my TIG. I sent the bolt back to him and the handle snapped off again.

This seems to be fairly common on these 788s or at least it appears that way via a Google search. Do any of the 'smiths on the board have any suggestions? I'd like to take another crack at welding it but just want to make sure I'm not doing more damage than good.

Welding can be fine, but you have to be careful as this will cause an annealing effect around the weld area. The bold handle area isn't super critical, versus the lugs for instance, but it will have this effect.

TIG welds are the softest of the welds, which does make it ideal for this type of stuff. Did you just butt up the handle and weld it on? You may have to make sort of a chamfer on the bolt handle where it's broke and sort of a ditch around where the handle meets the bolt. This gives you a larger volume to fill with metal. After all, you are trying to compete with the previous solid metal strength.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys.do you recommend taking the bolt apart and risking it not threading back or just weld as is? bolts for these seem to be made of unobtainium. so, if i could buy one for $80 as honeybee says,i would entertain the thought. who has them?

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know where to buy a bolt. Wisner's used to sell reproduction bolts

http://www.wisnersinc.com/

I'd probably call them and see if they have any plans to start again, or if they know where to get one.

The original bolt handle was hollow. Would it be worth the effort to machine a solid replacement to weld on? Just asking. I am not a welder or a smith.

jej

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Welding can be fine, but you have to be careful as this will cause an annealing effect around the weld area. The bold handle area isn't super critical, versus the lugs for instance, but it will have this effect.

TIG welds are the softest of the welds, which does make it ideal for this type of stuff. Did you just butt up the handle and weld it on? You may have to make sort of a chamfer on the bolt handle where it's broke and sort of a ditch around where the handle meets the bolt. This gives you a larger volume to fill with metal. After all, you are trying to compete with the previous solid metal strength.

The locking lugs are on that end of the bolt. True welding is all about melting the two parent metals together, not about how much filler material you use. But, good weld prep always helps. Wisner doesn't make 788 bolts anymore, wish I could find one for $80, that way I could resell it for more! 788 Bolts don't seem to be out ther at all. Seems there are several good 'smiths in the OKC area that are members here, might be best. It's always harder to deal with after the customer has tried to fix it himself and costs more , too.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i found wisner's site before i started this search.i wonder why they stopped making them? the market has to be good based on availability. the original design used whats called a "cold" weld because of where its at.this alone tells me that the bolt is weak.remington's site lists 'smiths that specialize in the 788 bolt,but the cost is not doable. $119 not including shipping of the whole gun.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i found wisner's site before i started this search.i wonder why they stopped making them? the market has to be good based on availability. the original design used whats called a "cold" weld because of where its at.this alone tells me that the bolt is weak.remington's site lists 'smiths that specialize in the 788 bolt,but the cost is not doable. $119 not including shipping of the whole gun.

I've used Wisner alot for obsolete parts and they make some real good ones too. Wisner is a pretty 'independent' sort 'a guy. If it became a hastle, because he wanted you to send him the rifle so head space could be verified/adjusted, he just will quit that part and I am sure many resisted sending the complete rifle to him and don't understand the concept of head space, they just think bolts are interchangable. Like I said, an 'independent' type guy. And the $119 + shipping doen't sound like that guy is "stick'in' to ya, having skilled labor do a job for you isn't cheap, look what the AC/Heat guy gets, or the Ford garage, or a plumber or electrician.

Latest posts

Top Bottom