Gunsmith question: Rem 788 bolt handle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i'm not really surprised by the 119 price tag.that was from a guy on remingtons site out of PA.i don't see why they need the whole action though.i guess for clearance check.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some digging around on other forums and there was a great quote concerning Wisner 788 bolts: "Well, now you know where to get a $350 bolt for a $150 rifle." ;-)

FWIW, I don't think repro bolts are made any longer.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i'm not really surprised by the 119 price tag.that was from a guy on remingtons site out of PA.i don't see why they need the whole action though.i guess for clearance check.

When you replace a bolt handle, it has to be positioned correctly or the bolt may not rotate into battery fully (the locking lugs don't engage all the way)OR it may not rotate fully out of battery (so that the lugs disengage) so the action can be cycled. There is not much room for error in the position of the bolt handle so a 'smith needs, at least, the action along with the bolt body and handle to do the job correctly.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remington bolts are silver-soldered together and most bolts are severel pieces soldered together. You have to used heat-sink paste(avail-Brownells)
or you'll get the parts too hot and they will all fall apart.
a mandrel goes in the threaded area to prevent warping.
best left to a professional that knows what he's doing.
You will also soften(anneal) sensitive areas, like the cocking cam
If your not careful.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're gonna' end up shipping it ask the co. that will do the work if you can ship just the barreled action instead of the whole rifle, it would be cheaper to ship because the box would be shorter/weigh less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom