Gunsmithing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carpe_Diem73120

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be interested in taking a night class one day a week to learn how to put together a rifle. I've really wanted to build my own AKM or FAL and would love to learn how to barrel press and use a lathe etc etc. If there is somewhere OKC where that could be done, I would def be up for the challenge :)

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the love of custom work - Learn Attention to Detail. If you want to make a National name for yourself and be successful, You will need attention to detail and mechanical understanding. If you just want to scrape by then 1/2 ars it like Far Too Many nowadays and use cheap components/tools/solutions.

Get to know the industry and the manufacturers/suppliers, understand why they do what they do and why they require certain raw materials.

After that - it'll either take you starting on your own and rolling the dice living off of bread and water, OR, you somehow stumble into an apprentice job with a known source and grow your skill-set.

Raw skill and attention to detail Always set persons apart. Like Mr. Holmes = http://www.kustomcamo.com/portfolio/category/gun-stocks/?page=6#all

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Or, and I am just throwing this out there, you take your classes and get a good base of knowledge and start doing things part time. FFL is required to be a pro gunsmith these days. I would encourage you to go for it!

It's also important to realize that not all gunsmiths do custom work. Some specialize in restorations, some specialize in repair, some it full-auto only. . .some custom work or safari rifles etc. . .

There are lots of avenues to take, but all gunsmiths all require the same basic skill levels and understanding of how to use metalworking and wood working tools. (hand checkering, for example, takes specialized skills)

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunsmith or armorer? Big difference. As said above, if you are serious, go to a real school that teaches it full time. Half ass effort, half ass result.

Latest posts

Top Bottom