Guys with Blackhawk Serpa holsters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elaborate these "serious safety issues" for us please

You are releasing the retention device with the same device that activates the trigger.

The Serpa is a disaster that HAS happened.

Here is an example on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

As for other examples, I had a student who had done the same during an IED attack in the gulf several years ago.

I also saw a student fire a simunition round into his own leg in similar fashion during active shooter training using a SERPA.

As a previous poster noted, I have seen the SERPA fail to disengage the pistol when dirt and tiny rocks get in the mechanism during a grouned struggle.

There are other good retention holsters out there.

Michael Brown

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are releasing the retention device with the same device that activates the trigger.

As for other examples, I had a student who had done the same during an IED attack in the gulf several years ago.

I also saw a student fire a simunition round into his own leg in similar fashion during active shooter training using a SERPA.

As a previous poster noted, I have seen the SERPA fail to disengage the pistol when dirt and tiny rocks get in the mechanism during a grouned struggle.

Michael Brown

couldn't have said it better, it is simply not a good design. Operating the holster under stress can cause issues like those, grit preventing the locking system from releasing the pistol is extremely dangerous. I have seen reports of people accidentally discharging the weapon when re-holstering as well.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Michael Brown said:

Michael Brown

Sound like a training issues, my finger doesn't come any closer to the trigger than with any other holster, and I've still got a thumb safety after that(1911).

I can see how someone carrying a pistol w/o a manual safety might have some issues, but your finger shouldn't be hitting the trigger before your ready to shoot.

I don't have anything for the dirt issue, I havnt experienced the problem but I havnt spent alot of time in the dirt with mine on tho.

I've been using one for matches and range work for a couple years now and havnt had any issues. My finger hits the gun on the frame the same as anyother holster I've used.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sound like a training issues, my finger doesn't come any closer to the trigger than with any other holster, and I've still got a thumb safety after that(1911).

I can see how someone carrying a pistol w/o a manual safety might have some issues, but your finger shouldn't be hitting the trigger before your ready to shoot.

I don't have anything for the dirt issue, I havnt experienced the problem but I havnt spent alot of time in the dirt with mine on tho.

I've been using one for matches and range work for a couple years now and havnt had any issues. My finger hits the gun on the frame the same as anyother holster I've used.

If you want to justify to yourself that the holster is okay, you don't need anyone's approval.

However a ton of professionals have found the holster unsafe and don't allow it on their ranges or in their classes because of the documented safety issues with the SERPA.

What SHOULDN'T happen is not what happens under stress. If you are using your trigger finger to de-activate the retention device your trigger finger is doing something that is likely to result in a sympathetic discharge under stress.

You asked what the safety issues are and you were provided with the answer.

If you still want to use a SERPA, that is your decision.

Michael Brown

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And I will continue to use mine as the safety issues are a nonissue on a gun with a manual safety.

Not pro or anti serpa. I use one sometimes. With that said, here's a guntard who shot himself in the leg using a 1911 and SERPA holster. Granted, this guy is short of riding on the short bus if you actually watch his vids, but it is documented proof of SERPA fail happening even with a gun with a manual safety.

Link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Last edited by a moderator:

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to justify to yourself that the holster is okay, you don't need anyone's approval.

However a ton of professionals have found the holster unsafe and don't allow it on their ranges or in their classes because of the documented safety issues with the SERPA.

What SHOULDN'T happen is not what happens under stress. If you are using your trigger finger to de-activate the retention device your trigger finger is doing something that is likely to result in a sympathetic discharge under stress.

You asked what the safety issues are and you were provided with the answer.

If you still want to use a SERPA, that is your decision.

Michael Brown

I really need to come up and take a class one weekend from you,

Like he said, this holster is known to be dangerous and many places will not allow them. What works at the range or in competition is one thing, when your heart is going 180bpm+ and you are in the fight for your life fine motor skills diminish rapidly. The ability to do something as simple as disengage a safety can become an issue, now add that in combination with a holster that requires your trigger finger to disengage a locking mechanism (that you hope is clean and functioning properly) and you have a completely avoidable, potentially dangerous situation on your hands. The holster is inherently flawed by design, and there is a reason why I avoid being in proximity to people training with them at the range. I have seen MANY close calls with these holsters.

Even if you believe you have mastered the ability under stress to safely draw the weapon, you still have to hope nothing has gone wrong with the locking mech, and it disengages properly. If it doesn't, your screwed.

Use what you like, but there are much better options out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom