Hammer question for Contender gurus...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, fair disclosure - I don't know a lot about the evolution of the Contender or the idiosyncrasies of them so forgive my ignorance. I have three first generation Thompson Contenders, all three have different hammers. On one, the selector for rimfire/centerfire is a switch on top of the hammer. On another, it is a crossbolt that pushes left to right. On the third, I don't see a selector at all, even though the two frame mounted firing pins are there. Is this a factory centerfire only hammer, or is this an aftermarket one that was put in there by the previous owner? Finally, is there something I'm missing?

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, it took me a minute to dig them out of the safe. So here are the three hammer type is have, and I guess I don't know anything about them. Educate me?

This is the hammer with the selector.

This is the crossbolt that I thought was also a selector but upon closer look, may be a safety?

This is the one with no safety or selector...

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three first generation Thompson Contenders, all three have different hammers.
I dont know if it it technically proper, but I would say you have 3 generations of contender.

First generation is the one in question that needs a screwdriver to change.
It is also know to be hard to break open the action.

Second is the slider button on the hammer.

Third is the one with the selector on the top "c, red dot, r"!

I might have 1 and 2 mixed up, but a quick look at your serial numbers will confirm whether I am wrong or not!

Are these from different years of production?
Yes.

Again, look at your serial numbers.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know if it it technically proper, but I would say you have 3 generations of contender.

First generation is the one in question that needs a screwdriver to change.
It is also know to be hard to break open the action.

Second is the slider button on the hammer.

Third is the one with the selector on the top "c, red dot, r"!

I might have 1 and 2 mixed up, but a quick look at your serial numbers will confirm whether I am wrong or not!

Yes.

Again, look at your serial numbers.
What he said.
I've only owned 2 Contenders, currently have 1 & will never git rid of this one, regret trading off the first 1. Both have/had the selector like in your 4th picture. I've seen some like in your second pic, but I've never yet come across one like in your 1st pic.

I would like to, wouldn't need a tool to change firing pins when changing barrels.

Latest posts

Top Bottom