Handi rifle 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had a h&r handi rifle in 223? I've recently been drawn to the single shot rifles. Just wondering if anyone has had one or currently own one. What kind of groups you get @ 100yd? Thanks.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got the kids one a couple years back, mainly for my oldest (he lives out of state w/his mom). Since he hasn't been up here much lately, it hasn't been shot in a good while, but best I remember it shot pretty good groups with 55 gr softpoints, handloads. I've never had one of the H&R's that wasn't a shooter.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Ill check that web site out soon. Thanks..
I bought a 357 in the handi rifle. 3 shots at 50yd all touched. Been wanting 1 in 223 for some time now. Maybe ill go ahead buy 1 thanks again

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a youth model .223 for my youngest son which he has now outgrown. It was accurate enough but there was one problem with ejecting empty brass. It wouldn't do it reliably. I lapped the chamber a little and that didn't fix it.

I tried various hand loads in it and some loads were worse than others. Only the powder was different. I am guessing one had higher pressure than the other.

Graybeards forum has DIY conversion to an extractor from an ejector and the other way too. I may do that. I had to take a cleaning rod along to shoot it. The new ones may be extractor. This was worse on .223 barrels than others from reading about it.

I also know a man with a heavy barreled H&R .223 that was great. He used it on prairie dogs with great success.

Latest posts

Top Bottom