Handi rifle 223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By any chance were the rounds you were using 5.56?

Also as other have said check out GreyBeards Handi section.
The FAQ's and Handi Basics 101 on top will answer a bunch of questions on these little rifles.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have fired handi-rifles from .223 to 500 Smith. All were reasonably accurate, and I never experienced any extraction problems with any of the seven or so calibers that I managed to shoot.

One word of caution--I have been kicked by some pretty robust calibers, but cannot recall one as uncomfortable to shoot as the Smith 500. The first time I thought I had not held it properly. The second time convinced me there would be no third time. The owner of that rifle has fired it twice, and refuses to admit that it kicks horrendously. Ironically, about two weeks after the experience, the classifieds had one in 500 for sale with 18 rounds of ammo.

These are inexpensive rifles which will do the job they are designed for.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone I talk to say the same thing about the handi with a 500 S&W mag barrel on it.
I've heard from a few folks the 500 S&W Mag pistols that it isn't that bad.
Makes me scratch my head. But in any case I have one of the handis and plan to find out first hand.

ck0s99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot a 500 s&w in a pistol and it rocked pretty good. Think I may go buy a handi in 223. I love the single shots. I think there more challenging than the bolt/semi auto gun but like all guns
Thanks for the input..

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By any chance were the rounds you were using 5.56?

Also as other have said check out GreyBeards Handi section.
The FAQ's and Handi Basics 101 on top will answer a bunch of questions on these little rifles.

Maybe they were 5.56. I have checked out graybeards. I found out there that other .223 handis have the same problem. Sometimes just a stiffer spring in the ejector will fix it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the youth model for my granddaughter three years ago. She's taken two deer with it. I couldn't tell you about accuracy, as the youth stock is way too short for me to get into, plus I put a red dot scope on it for her, and the dot covers too much of the target at 100 yards. On the other hand, I've always been able to get "minute of cowpatty" out of it.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only asked because I did this once years ago with a TC in 223. The 556 is hotter and it expanded in the chamber and wouldn't extract.

They were all my hand loads. One powder was worse than the other. They were not even near max loads. I don't do max loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom