Handloading for the 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparker60

New to the site!
Reaction score
Any favorite loads for the .45ACP?
I just finished my first ten rounds of hand loaded ammo for my .45ACP 1911. The research with the Lymans book and Hogdon's website lead me to start with 4 grains of Titegroup with a 230gr LRN. The Titegroup bottle said 4 grains was the min load and 4.8 was the max. That seems awful light from what all I've read.
I'm loading just for cheap target practice.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4.8 grain load of Titegroup with a 230gr LRN will be operating at 17k CUP. If you notice that is one of the higher pressures in a max loading on the Hodgdon site. It should be traveling about 850 fps which is a good load for plinking. Go by what the book says no matter what your gut feeling is ESPECIALLY as a new handloader, your guns and possibly your physical well being will thank you.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not disparaging anyone who has shared information here, but you will do well to confirm any internet recommended load with published reloading manuals, and it's a very good idea to consult more than one reference.

Too easy for someone to make a typo. CB

rodman2112

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm loading just for cheap target practice.

What is cheap? I'm thinking of reloading for practice as well, but after researching, I found it was about the same price as store bought Blazer. I'm not including the price of the hardware, just the ammo supplies themselves. Am I missing something? Can you estimate the cost of 1000 rounds of reload showing the individual cost of supplies (.45 ACP only)? Thanks.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Primers: $30
Powder: $9-10 (using my Solo1000 powder charge of 4.5gr)
Cases: $50-70
Bullets: $70 for lead, $100 for moly coated, $120-150 for FMJ

Using the highest cost the totals are:

Lead bullets: $180
Moly bullets: $210
FMJ's $230-260

And this is considering only one loading of your cases, with light target loading they will last until you lose them.

Where are you finding 45 for less than 300/K?

Latest posts

Top Bottom