Hard of hearing? Beware Amazon Prime . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only OSA would equate ADA with losing rights.
If you're a business owner who falls under ADA, you lost your rights to run your business as you see fit. Nobody has a "right" to enter someone else's property, so the folks covered by ADA were not being denied their rights; Congress just granted them rights that didn't exist--and they did it at the expense of the rights of the business owners.

Personally, I think that business owners should make their facilities as accessible as is practically possible, but only that business owner has any idea as to whether or not he will be able to get enough business from that expense to justify the cost. Forcing him to do it, whether it's a good economic idea or not--and at his expense, no less--is unjust, IMHO.

How would you like it if the Feds passed a law that said you had to (not "ought to" or "should consider," but MUST, under penalty of law) make your kitchen accessible to the blind and people in wheelchairs when you replaced your kitchen faucet? That's essentially what they've done here, well-intentioned or not.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only OSA would equate ADA with losing rights. I'm sure you're kind, loving, and selfless people. You just feel obligated to act like self righteous jackasses because everything is either liberal or conservative.

and my comment of " I read books, I watch movies" was deleted....

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're a business owner who falls under ADA, you lost your rights to run your business as you see fit. Nobody has a "right" to enter someone else's property, so the folks covered by ADA were not being denied their rights; Congress just granted them rights that didn't exist--and they did it at the expense of the rights of the business owners.

Personally, I think that business owners should make their facilities as accessible as is practically possible, but only that business owner has any idea as to whether or not he will be able to get enough business from that expense to justify the cost. Forcing him to do it, whether it's a good economic idea or not--and at his expense, no less--is unjust, IMHO.

How would you like it if the Feds passed a law that said you had to (not "ought to" or "should consider," but MUST, under penalty of law) make your kitchen accessible to the blind and people in wheelchairs when you replaced your kitchen faucet? That's essentially what they've done here, well-intentioned or not.

Someone that gets it, good post.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Don't take this as a personal dig: But are you ready to disclaim the '64 Civil Rights Act as infringing on the personal rights to refuse service?

The majority of people commenting in this thread have never been told to update anything to meet ADA, yet they all act like it is another millstone around their neck keeping them from being something other than what they already are.

OSU_Chris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think businesses are just going to eat the cost of implementing these regulations out of the goodness of their heart? No, the costs get passed onto the consumer, even those not utilizing the implemented feature.

This is not entirely accurate. My business provides a service. That service is something that cannot be utilized by the wheelchair bound. However, due to the ADA I was required to provided full handicap accessible restrooms. Further, I have showers in my facility (not intended for customer use) however, those too had to be wheelchair compliant. Due to the nature of my business and the abundance of competition those added cost cannot be passed to the customer without pricing myself out of business.

There is a portion of the ADA code that specifies a business cannot be compelled to comply with the ADA if it would impose an undue hardship on the business. However, good luck getting anything past during an inspection if it does not go above and beyond the ADA code. There should truly be some limit to what the government can force a business to do. I have an additional 10 grand in my restrooms that have to date ( two years in use) be utilized by 3 wheelchair bound patrons.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't take this as a personal dig: But are you ready to disclaim the '64 Civil Rights Act as infringing on the personal rights to refuse service?

The majority of people commenting in this thread have never been told to update anything to meet ADA, yet they all act like it is another millstone around their neck keeping them from being something other than what they already are.

Oh the stories I could tell. Unfortunately I have to be careful with what I post on social media for public consumption. I will just say that my organization has lost millions in money and productivity due to this law. Save your attempts at self riteousness for those not burdened with the responsibility of earning a profit.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh the stories I could tell. Unfortunately I have to be careful with what I post on social media for public consumption. I will just say that my organization has lost millions in money and productivity due to this law. Save your attempts at self riteousness for those not burdened with the responsibility of earning a profit.

So you've lost millions of dollars due to ADA (on productivity, no less), but you can't give any details. Okay, I believe you.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So you've lost millions of dollars due to ADA, but you can't give any details. Okay, I believe you. I've dealt with OSHA, DOL, and ICC/IBC AHJs for years. Either the magnitude of your situation is incorrect, or your organization has willingly updated deficiencies with no complaints.

Latest posts

Top Bottom