HARLEY Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the 2002 Softail that Higgimw had on sale here not long ago. Tires look new. I've been looking at the course that OSU offers and I think I'm going to take it.

I know that bike, it is a great bike. Best thing to do is just go out and practice. Maybe even find an empty parking lot, that is big enough to get some speed, then practice turning and stuff. That way if you do dump it, atleast it wont be in traffic

mprvise

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good advice so far, especially those suggesting the MSF course.

There is a great book called Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. I highly recommend picking up a copy and reading it at least three times, then again before each riding season. Seriously.

Until then look where you want to go and consciously utilize counter steering until it becomes second nature. Good luck and stay safe.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
I am an MSF instructor in the Tulsa area and I highly recommend that you get to a class soon. It will do you a lot of good. I would also suggest finding the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD if possible as it gives you some great insight on what you should be doing as well as some skills to work on. In the meantime, here are a few pointers.

Keep your head and eyes up. You will go where you are looking, if you look down, then down you will go. It is natural for our eyes to follow our nose.

When making turns look all the way through your turn or curve. Do no "five pence" it where you look a little ahead, then a little more then a little more. By looking through the turn it will make it nice and smooth.

The throttle is your friend, don't be afraid of it but don't abuse it as it will bite you when least expected. Get used to modulating the throttle.

Learn clutch control. Think of it as a scale from 1 to 5 with 1 squeezed in and 5 all the way out. On slow speed stuff you want to stay in the 2-3-4 area. Ease it out to go squeeze it to slow. Ease and squeeze, remember that.

70 per cent of your braking power comes from your front brake. Do not be afraid to use it, it has much more stopping power than the rear brake. That being said the combination of both front and rear brakes is 100 per cent braking power.

That is just a synopsis of what we teach in MSF. If I could only give you one piece of advice today that would be find a course please. It will make riding much more enjoyable for you plus you get a 10 per cent discount on your insurance. If there is anything else I can answer please ask or PM me.

Mike

Worthy of a repeat. Stop thinking about it and get signed up for and take the MSF course.

As to the tires, age has as much to do with them as wear. The rubber compound will dry out over time and while they may look fine they get hard and lose grip. If they are the original tires that came on it 9 or so years ago it is time for new ones. Find out from the guy you bought it from when they were put on.

Oh, and take the MSF rider course

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a beautiful bike! Congrats. We all like our bikes clean and shiny but beware of Armor All on the tires and watch for loose debris, like sand and gravel on the roadways(from private driveways), especially thru turns.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take the MSF course now. Sounds like you're fighting the bike and you are not counter-steering. Low speed maneuvering is the hardest part about riding a bike. You have to learn the friction zone of the clutch and learn how to drag the rear brake a little to control the bike. Definitely take the MSF course right away. I would before you spent much more time on the bike.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take the MSF course now. Sounds like you're fighting the bike and you are not counter-steering. Low speed maneuvering is the hardest part about riding a bike. You have to learn the friction zone of the clutch and learn how to drag the rear brake a little to control the bike. Definitely take the MSF course right away. I would before you spent much more time on the bike.

I wasn't having any trouble with low speed, it was about 60mph and I wanted to go one way and the bike another. I backed off the throttle and finally got it back where I wanted it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
over about 15 you don't turn the handle bars the direction you want to go. You turn them the opposite. This leans the bike in the direction of the turn and it makes the proper turn. Then you turn them the opposite way to stand the bike back up.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that bike, it is a great bike. Best thing to do is just go out and practice. Maybe even find an empty parking lot, that is big enough to get some speed, then practice turning and stuff. That way if you do dump it, atleast it wont be in traffic

Shush....we don't need to be talking about dumping no bikes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom