Has anybody tried the metal stuff that

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I will throw in my 2 cents.

I load my Lyman with cases and top with the non treated corncob media. Let it get going then add 2tbs of Brasso. Tumble for 3-4hrs.

I forgot about it one night and it ran till the next morning. I combed my hair using a .308 case for a mirror.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was always told not to use Brasso cause it had ammonia in it and would harden the brass which would make it crack. Might be ok if you let it set until the ammonia smell was gone. Or it might just be an old wives tale. Anyone else have experience with it???

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always told not to use Brasso cause it had ammonia in it and would harden the brass which would make it crack. Might be ok if you let it set until the ammonia smell was gone. Or it might just be an old wives tale. Anyone else have experience with it???

We don't use it in our tumbler, but GC has polished his badges and brass with Brasso a couple times a week now for 20 years. All his hardware still looks good as new so I would lean towards old wives tale ...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammonia can seriously jack up lots of different metals. That's why you have to be careful with bore cleaners like Sweets, Shooters Choice, and others. The ammonia eats the copper so that's what makes it work. It will also eat barrel steel if given enough time. Here is the best "layman" explanation I could find quickly. FYI cartridge brass contains about 70% copper....

Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking, especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridge cases used for rifle ammunition during the 1920s in the Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, so initiating brittle cracks. The problem was resolved by annealing the cases, and storing the cartridges elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass

Latest posts

Top Bottom