Has anyone delivered their own child?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, my sister-in-law is staying with us, so at least we will have a midwife of sorts on hand. I am pretty sure I can at least make it to the local emt at the very least as during the christmas blizzard we could make it to town. Fingers crossed no drama over the next two days.

I delivered all 4 of mine at home (Well, the wife did all of the hard work...), but I've delivered more than a few before and since. If the momma has been screened for complications it's really not a big deal, but complications before, during and after can make it a nightmare.

Advice- Come up with a bullet proof plan to get her to a hospital capable of OB services. Who's her OB Doc? Call him/her and ask for advice on all of the "what if's" like snow/ hazardous travel. Early admits are possible in certain circumstances. First sniggles of labor- go, but go safely. The only thing an EMT can really offer over the skills you already have is a safer ride to a Hospital.

Midwife assisted homebirth is an option, but some insurers won't cover them and they typically want to participate in the prenatal care to understand their risks and to assess the family's stability under pressure. Homebirth is not a sport for wimpy dads and anxiety riddled moms.

Best of luck to you, your wife and soon to be baby!

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting thread. I delivered our second. We were at the hospital and the Dr was there. I made all the appts during the pregnancy and I guess he thought I was capable. He was there watching over my shoulder, but it was me in the pole position on the rolling stool. Had to twist him(baby) a little counterclockwise so his shoulder would clear. Just AWESOME! I'll NEVER forget it!

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I had basic EMT training way back when they kept telling us the most important thing was don't drop the baby. Tends to freak the mom out.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
When I had basic EMT training way back when they kept telling us the most important thing was don't drop the baby. Tends to freak the mom out.

Aw heck, as long as it isn't too far of a drop they kind of bounce, sort of. Both of my kids got dropped some, didn't seem to affect them, much...

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With our first my wife said she wanted to wait a while even after her water broke to go to the hospital. I said well I will meet u there then cause I am goin and if you want to ride you better load up. Everything was fine but we will be at the hospital for the next one also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom