HB1652 Passes; SoonerPoll shows why Open Carry won't pass a popular vote.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://soonerpoll.com/majority-of-likely-oklahoma-voters-oppose-allowing-guns-on-college-campuses/

Additional crosstab analysis reveals that these political lines are not so clear among poll respondents. Although a respondent’s Party identification does correlate with how they responded to the poll question, a clear majority of Republicans, Democrats and Independents are united in their opposition to allowing guns on campus.

The 68.9 percent of Republicans who oppose campus carry is nearly ten points lower than the 78.7 percent of Democrats opposed, but 4.8 points higher than the 64 percent of Independents opposed.​

It's pretty clear that the Governor's signature on this to make it law will be "against the will of the people". But it is one step closer to restoring the Right to keep and bear arms.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://soonerpoll.com/majority-of-likely-oklahoma-voters-oppose-allowing-guns-on-college-campuses/

It's pretty clear that the Governor's signature on this to make it law will be "against the will of the people". But it is one step closer to restoring the Right to keep and bear arms.

If only the majority opinion s were ever passed, cultural change would never be affected. IMHO, the reason the majority are opposed to open carry is because culturally, even in OK, folks have been subject to the "guns are evil" media blitz for so long that they have lost the memory of guns being nothing more then very useful tools in the hands of free people.
I fear that culturally, even here, folks are beginning to regard guns and gun owners as outside the mainstream.
The only answer is education of our young'uns.
Education by demonstration...taking them out to the range, teaching them safe handling, taking them out hunting, etc etc.

Also, education by study: studying the many many cases where guns are used to protect innocent to-be victims from predator criminal types. Often without a shot being fired!

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SoonerPoll conducts theirs over the phone, which is really the only way to get anything close to scientific results any more.

This is the 21st century, there's no such thing as scientific results.

I don't even know anyone who owns a home phone, and cell phone numbers aren't always readily available. In-person interviews is where it's at.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
SoonerPoll conducts theirs over the phone, which is really the only way to get anything close to scientific results any more.

This is the 21st century, there's no such thing as scientific results.

I don't even know anyone who owns a home phone, and cell phone numbers aren't always readily available. In-person interviews is where it's at.

I have home and cell phones and if I don't recognize the number,I won't answer.If it's someone who really wants to talk, they'll leave a message.Pollsters won't.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have home and cell phones and if I don't recognize the number,I won't answer.If it's someone who really wants to talk, they'll leave a message.Pollsters won't.

Yes - the potential for bias is high. You are much more likely to get a Judge Judy fan to answer a phone poll than someone who is in touch with reality. No doubt that everyone thinks that their opinion about firearms is righteous including those who base it on their experience with guns through movies and the media.

Asking someone who has never learned to use a handgun safely and proficiently if they think open carry is a good idea is like asking people in 1900 who have never seen a car whether or not cars should be allowed inside the city limits.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Asking someone who has never learned to use a handgun safely and proficiently if they think open carry is a good idea is like asking people in 1900 who have never seen a car whether or not cars should be allowed inside the city limits.
1, and i'd even modify to say:
is like asking people in 1900 who have never seen a car, AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT MECHANIZED TRANSPORT IS EVIL, whether or not cars should be allowed inside the city limits

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a good thing that "the will of the people" isn't limited to a popular vote. I for one am very glad that our "will" can be brought to bear by passionate, informed and agressive people who believe in their cause and will fight for it despite the majority fly-by opinion.

I'd even go so far as to say that the "will of the people" IS being done in this case. Those who would not allow these rights to flourish obviously do not believe it enough to get up as a collective and make it stick so therefore their "will" as a whole is measured in low percentages against the stronger and emboldened proponants.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love how they phrase things, too... like apparently "campus carry" is CCW licensees leaving their lawfully-owned and carried weapons off their person and in their locked vehicles, thus no longer forcing them to commute to and from home without the advent of their lawfully-protected right to self-defense.

When you say "campus carry", people automatically conjure up images of weapons being brandished in classrooms on the teachers. It's just ridiculous the amount of brainwashing we have allowed in this country these days. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom