Heat in my 57 chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I converted that car a few years ago to have a homemade ac system from an Isuzu Axiom.
It all fit under the dash.
I did remove the bulky eye sore junk GM hung outside on the firewall.
That deleted my heater and I did not get the heater box from the Axiom.

Too much bulk and air mix doors to even want it.

The other day i decided to install a heater core and it had to be kind of small and kind of inexpensive.
Orielly I searched heater core and searched by lowest to highest price and found a 1979 Ford F250 Truck with Ac looked to have the
right size and right at 35 bucks.

Took me barely 45 minutes to fab a mount and drain radiator and hook up coolant lines, fill radiator and test.
I could change it out in 5 minutes or less if I had to change it.

Works great.
The whole under dash area gets filled with hot moving air and it blows out the windshield vents.
Face and legs are toasty and dash gets toasty.

I only have high speed on the blower motor so I will remove the motor speed controller off my homemade electric bicycle and
add it to the 57 to get variable speed blower.
And was given an old radio with stems to go in the dash ..it was for a mustang and the cassette player opening has horses on it but I do not care.
It sounds pretty good.

Heat ---Air and a radio in the dash.
I am shittin in tall cotton.

:)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome job!
My 55 Ford Customline with the 272 CI, Y block engine lost the heater core once. None to be found in salvage yards as that was an issue with them. For about a month used a metal minnow bucket bottom with a coleman single mantle lantern in it for heat. The light was too bright for night driving so wadded up a bunch of foil balls and dropped in around it to block the light and add some heat sinks. Worked even better but had to make sure and keep some fresh air coming in.
Defrost feature was picking up the bucket from the passenger floorboard and moving it around the windshield. Didn't work so well that way.
Finally found a used one and got it installed.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I converted that car a few years ago to have a homemade ac system from an Isuzu Axiom.
It all fit under the dash.
I did remove the bulky eye sore junk GM hung outside on the firewall.
That deleted my heater and I did not get the heater box from the Axiom.

Too much bulk and air mix doors to even want it.

The other day i decided to install a heater core and it had to be kind of small and kind of inexpensive.
Orielly I searched heater core and searched by lowest to highest price and found a 1979 Ford F250 Truck with Ac looked to have the
right size and right at 35 bucks.

Took me barely 45 minutes to fab a mount and drain radiator and hook up coolant lines, fill radiator and test.
I could change it out in 5 minutes or less if I had to change it.

Works great.
The whole under dash area gets filled with hot moving air and it blows out the windshield vents.
Face and legs are toasty and dash gets toasty.

I only have high speed on the blower motor so I will remove the motor speed controller off my homemade electric bicycle and
add it to the 57 to get variable speed blower.
And was given an old radio with stems to go in the dash ..it was for a mustang and the cassette player opening has horses on it but I do not care.
It sounds pretty good.

Heat ---Air and a radio in the dash.
I am shittin in tall cotton.

:)

Where are the pictures? Nice creativity!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice ride! And last time I was in it, it scoots!

I still think it needs a removable ladder rack! You like hauling long materials and such!
That one has a hitch and nothing gets hauled on the top of the car I let the Corolla handle that chore :)

My 78 Nova did not have any heat either but no carpet and aluminum dash and aluminum door panels.
Firewall and floor heat from the engine and a big homemade steel cowl hood kept the windshield defrosted and de iced.

I was at work one sleeting day and a friend came in and told me I left my defroster on in the car.
I told him I do not have a defroster and he said well something is on se we walk outside in the sleet and he pointed at my windshield and said see no ice on it but all the other cars are iced up.

I told him that big open cowl scoop is allowing engine heat to escape and keeps my windshield defrosted.
I had a belly pan on that car from the front air dam I built to the center crossmember.

I did not want air lifting my front end at high speeds :)

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I told him that big open cowl scoop is allowing engine heat to escape and keeps my windshield defrosted.
I had a belly pan on that car from the front air dam I built to the center crossmember.

I did not want air lifting my front end at high speeds :)
I really hope this doesnt come across the wrong way, because I dont mean it as anything less than complimentary but....

You may be the most thorough MacGuyver I have ever seen or read about. I have known a lot of folks that had the drive and ingenuity to repurpose the things around them, but most of their stuff came out pretty jerry-rigged. I have yet to see an example of your work that indicates anything less than complete follow through and thorough analysis of the problem and solution. My hat is off to you sir and I hope that if I ever find myself stuck between a rock and hard place that you cross my path, haha.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliment @wawazat I think things through often and really hate to see things cobbled together.
I want the utmost reliability and all those little things people overlook can add up to disaster.

Growing up a poor boy/redneck helps.
I had to buy or build everything I had and I needed it to work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom