HELP! AR15/M16 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Help me out here, folks. I will admit, I am completely ignorant when it comes to the AR15/M16 platform. I was contacted by a friend yesterday who has an early military M16 upper that he has had for some time with intentions of finding a lower and building a rifle. Well, I guess he has decided to turn loose of it instead (money?). He wondered what it was worth, and I don't have the foggiest notion! He described it as ... "an early military M16 upper and bolt carrier, no charging handle, no fwd assist, no welded suppressor." Here's a pic ...

[Broken External Image]

That's all I know. Can you help?

Thanks,

Don

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like an old Colt A1 upper, with a semi-auto BCG. The handguards don't really match though, seems like they should be the triangle style if its older. As far as value, I have no real idea but I'd guess around $500-$600 maybe?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Help me out here, folks. I will admit, I am completely ignorant when it comes to the AR15/M16 platform. I was contacted by a friend yesterday who has an early military M16 upper that he has had for some time with intentions of finding a lower and building a rifle. Well, I guess he has decided to turn loose of it instead (money?). He wondered what it was worth, and I don't have the foggiest notion! He described it as ... "an early military M16 upper and bolt carrier, no charging handle, no fwd assist, no welded suppressor." Here's a pic ...

[Broken External Image]

That's all I know. Can you help?

Thanks,

Don

Looks like an early M16 or SP1 upper, not an M16A1. Looks like the proper lack of a forward assist, thin barrel, 3-Prong flash hider, and flat slipring for it to be an M16. The handguards are not M16 or M16A1, but M16A2. The way to tell if it is an M16 or an SP1 upper is to measure the front pivot hole. An M16 will be .250" and a SP1 will be .315". Can't tell if the bolt carrier group is semi or full auto (not that it really matters either way) without looking at the underside. Value would be around $400 or so. What kind of markings are on the barrel?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a regular old slab side upper with the wrong handguards (although commonly seen on AF slab sides after the old parts broke and were replaced with existing stocks), like CAR said.

Sportsmans Guide is still selling complete M16A1 parts kits for $450....so unless there is some pedigree to go with this particular upper, I wouldn't give more than a couple hundred.

Of course if you were trying to build a Vietnam era slab side....this would be a good start. Hmmm....

Last edited:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guess I was a little off on my pricing guess. CAR-AR-M16 is right, I read that wiki article wrong, not an A1.

I was thinking $400 if it is all Colt (markings on barrel, upper and bolt carrier group will tell). If it has an aftermarket barrel like the kits that SMS mentioned then I agree with his price.

NOPCKL

New to the site!
Reaction score
ai1143.photobucket.com_albums_n637_NOPCKL_receiver.jpg

ai1143.photobucket.com_albums_n637_NOPCKL_barrel.jpg

A couple pictures of markings from the upper.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and thanks for the help Don.

Last edited:

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wouldn't the M16 come with an auto BCG? Looking really, really close at the first picture, it looks like you can see just a bit of red showing through, making the back of the BCG look short like a semi auto.

Latest posts

Top Bottom