Help ID a SxS ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks,

Here’s what’s definitely a wall-hanger of a side-by-side shotgun, missing some of the mechanical parts and sporting sewer pipes for barrels. I looked it over, but could not find any maker’s marks, so I have no clue who made it, though I’m guessing it’s from the 1800s. Can anyone identify it or offer other clues about its provenance or possible age? Also, what are the two bowls on the top of the receiver - surely they’re not for black powder using a flintlock mechanism? Thanks!
If you could get me a picture of the sideplate, and a rubbing or tracing of the circumference of the lock I could fabricate a look-a-like one to use while hanging on the wall. I can faux paint it to match the existing metal that will look great from around 10 to 20 ft.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you could get me a picture of the sideplate, and a rubbing or tracing of the circumference of the lock I could fabricate a look-a-like one to use while hanging on the wall. I can faux paint it to match the existing metal that will look great from around 10 to 20 ft.

There are no side plates - all the metal of the lock mechanism is gone on both sides. I appreciate the offer, though!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are no side plates - all the metal of the lock mechanism is gone on both sides. I appreciate the offer, though!
If and when you find a picture of one, send it to me. If you just want me to make one up, I can still do that if I can get a rubbing of the opening for it and the location of the screws.

BTW, did y'all know Ace Hardware has gun screws for sale?

IMG_5491.JPG
IMG_5490.jpg

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Folks,

Here’s what’s definitely a wall-hanger of a side-by-side shotgun, missing some of the mechanical parts and sporting sewer pipes for barrels. I looked it over, but could not find any maker’s marks, so I have no clue who made it, though I’m guessing it’s from the 1800s. Can anyone identify it or offer other clues about its provenance or possible age? Also, what are the two bowls on the top of the receiver - surely they’re not for black powder using a flintlock mechanism? Thanks!
Yep pinfire for sure. Possibly lefeuche.(?) Interesting system but prone to fire if dropped. Since holes/cutouts went directly to breech quite a large amount of gasses could escape hence the shields. I seem to recall someone making a set of tools to reload shells a while back. Some of the guns I've seen are very well made since aristocrat's were the only ones hunting in much of Europe.

Latest posts

Top Bottom