Help resources for identifying and selling sword and bayonet collection?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roqthecasbah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a buddy whose father recently passed away leaving him an extensive collection of swords, knives, and bayonets. There is also a large collection of bows and antique fishing poles, but I will address these later. I am trying to help him identify, value, and catalog for sale individually or as a lot, but having trouble finding resources to do so. If anyone could point me in a direction or can help, it would be much appreciated. Pictured is just a fraction of the collection.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 0

Roqthecasbah

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure just from a picture, but most of the Japanese style look like decorative reproductions to me.. Some of the sabres might be real. If you are near Edmond I would be happy to take a look but I am not an expert. I just like sharp stabbie things. :P
He is SW OKC. I will see if he wants to try to get them together for someone to look at the collection. Based on the collection of antique firearms that accompanied these some are probably reproductions and some are authentic. Here are some of the bayonets.

Attachments

• IMG_4984.jpeg
    IMG_4984.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread gave me an idea. for those of us that are past the mid way mark in life. Make it easy on our loved ones and write up everything we think they need to know about our collections. costs if they are hand me downs and from who etc. since my uncles passing and so much of his info was on his cell.. The wife and I have started leaving ours unlocked incase something happened. someone could get into the phones if needed.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread gave me an idea. for those of us that are past the mid way mark in life. Make it easy on our loved ones and write up everything we think they need to know about our collections. costs if they are hand me downs and from who etc. since my uncles passing and so much of his info was on his cell.. The wife and I have started leaving ours unlocked incase something happened. someone could get into the phones if needed.
I agree. A list of things like this with estimated values would be a huge help to the family. Maybe a folder with a photo, markings and value.

My personal collection all seem to be repros and is too heavy on broadsword types. I need to find a Japanese type and a sabre but when I mention it the wife says no, nada, nein. :P

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have done that with my firearms for many years now. Somehow, I've accumulated some odd firearms mostly from farm and estate auctions that have turned out to have a unique history to them as in their history or to their modifications during their life with a previous owner. Example: Arisaka 7.7 jap converted to a .300 Savage with a Bishop stock.
I have a folder of downloaded info printed into a ring binder of every one of the guns that can't be easily researched online to pass down to my sons.
Actually, for the auction with the proceeds to be passed to my sons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom