HELP - Toxicity or fumes from RedGuard or shower sealant???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some contractors are re-doing out master shower pan and tomorrow they are supposed to seal the pan with the pink stuff. My baby, mom and animals would all be here and my concern is over both the short and LONG term fumes and toxicity? The MSDS on RedGuard says it is a carcinogen and very toxic including respiratory. In some brief research I see there might be a low-VOC option called Hydro-ban and I left a message with the contractor this evening to see for sure what they are planning to use and I am going to request the less-harmful option if I can. But I am guessing they generally use RedGuard or a like product and I need to know the best way to handle this?

At this point, I am planning to move the baby and animals out for the day to somewhere else but we still will be home in the evening and have to live here and I do not want my bathroom and bedroom to be exuding toxic fumes for a month. My contingency is to open all the windows and have fans running including the bathroom exhaust fan and hoping once the actual tile is put down that there will be no long term residual fumes or matter in the bathroom that my family is exposed to. This is a REAL concern for me fellas as I also have some lung related health issues. Please advise the best course of action considering we need this done but occupy the house.

Thanks!

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use it in my showers. I haven't done one in a while but I don't remember it having a real strong odor. It wouldn't hurt to keep the little ones out till you're comfortable with it though. I would use still use it, It's a great product.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes. I used the Schluter Kerdi shower system and there was no need for any sealants. No odor, no mess, nothing. And I'm confident that shower will probably outlast the rest of the house. lol

Good luck, man.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They are going to use something safer; instead of Red Guard, they will user Hydro Barrier which is not listed as a carcinogen and has no solvents in it. There is another product called Hydro Ban that is even certified for low-VOC but they couldn't find it locally anywhere, so the Hydro Barrier product appears to be the best option due to timing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom