Hitch/trailer max tongue weight factory labeling discrepancy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this on a GMC truck forum but I thought I would see what the trailering experts here would have to say.

I am trying to learn about the towing limits for this particular truck and/or eventual attached trailer.

I appear to have a conflict in label information that is keeping me confused on max trailer tongue weights (not counting the draw bar). Truck is a 2023 Sierra 1500 Denali with the towing (not max) package installed, w/3.23 gears. Door jamb label that says for vehicle configuration reads a conventional max tongue weight of 890 lbs. while a very hard to see label on the welded-in factory receiver hitch appears to suggest a 340 lb. max tongue weight.

Am I reading this right? Why the discrepancy?

Thanks for your help and comments.

Label1.jpg
Label2.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you got a standard hitch and not some upgraded deal to match or exceed the sticker on the vehicle.
340 lbs of tongue weight seems pretty low.
Basically 1 big ol fat dude.

I never bought a hitch or had one installed but 90% of my vehicles do have a hitch that I made and they are welded and bolted to the frame.

I would get under there and make sure there are plenty of good fasteners holding that on.
And make sure they are tight.

I never trust anything someone else put together.

If you got this from the dealer I would call them and ask what the deal is on the low rated hitch.
Ask them who is at fault if something goes bad wrong with that under rated hitch if it fails.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.

After closer examination (someone pointed it out to me) it appears to have a "1" next to the 340. Just separated a bit. So actually 1340 lbs. it looks like.

Makes more sense now.
now this makes sense. 607 kg is about 1340 lbs. I was worried someone welded in a cheap cheap tow hitch.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
C

Conventional TWR is 8900 lbs. I don't think I'll ever come close to that.
Just a little advice. When towing leave it in third and not D. You will trash the tranny in short order with 3.23 gears. Your post says it has a towing package. Are you sure it's not a 3.73 ratio? Most tow packages are 3.73 these days.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little advice. When towing leave it in third and not D. You will trash the tranny in short order with 3.23 gears. Your post says it has a towing package. Are you sure it's not a 3.73 ratio? Most tow packages are.

Truck has a 10-speed auto trans. At the shifter it's either D (auto shift) or L (low) with shift paddles (1-10) on the column.

Yes. The window sticker says 3.23 gears, GVWR 7100 lbs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom