Hodgdon Titegroup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t heard of Sport Pistol. Who makes it?

It is an Alliant product. It seems to be very similar to Titegroup and N320 in density and burn rate. I’ve been watching threads discussing it for a couple of years from guys shooting production 9mm with it. It was designed for coated bullets to prevent it from attacking the coating in the base of the bullet.

All of my testing has been with 124g jacketed HP and 125g hi-tek coated bullets. It smokes less than Titegroup woth the jacketed. And it smokes a LOT less than TG with the coated bullets. My standard load is 4.1 TG with the JHP. I had to bring the SP load to 4.3 to get the exact same velocity. SD was near very low 5.1 or 5.6. (I’d have to look at the notes) , so it meters very well. It’s as clean as TG at the higher velocities based on two clean guns with 34rds each.

It also runs much cooler than tight group. I had some issues with the gun getting pretty hot in some of the match’s. I was shooting 3 divisions with it back to back. 12 strings of 6-8 rounds each in less than 10 minutes. About half way through my support hand thumb was complaining.
Not at all with the Sport Pistol.

I’m not sure how it will compare in some of my other loads, but it won my heart on my mid-weight 9mm load.

Today I went and practiced a bit with it and did an impromptu accuracy test. This is 10 rounds on 6” steel at 25 yards standing unsupported. I need to bag it or setup the ransom rest. Not bad for a stock Glock barrel.
Seems to shoot well out of my M&P and Wilson also.

df7eaf222bfadefa992bc61b035ee7b7.jpg

I think it is a winner. Ask me again in a few months when I have about 10k through it.

7f8947d7d49ab95a40475ca7cdecb65c.jpg

a824a1702200358ae318c1449db13029.jpg

One of these was TG and the other SP at the same testing session.

Last edited:

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TG is a good powder and I have several unopened 1lb bottles. I have switched to HS-6 for 9mm because it is easier to see in the cases, is accurate, Very little smoke or flash, and it meters good. Also with the TG my barrel seems to get very hot after just one magazine and when loading powder coated there Seems to be much more smoke. As others have mentioned I use 231 for 45 with a 200 gr powder coated bullet and have been very satisfied with it. The TG will be saved until I can’t find HS-6 or 231.

Latest posts

Top Bottom