Hog hunting outfitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wish I were more confident in identifying boars from sows. I watch hog hunting videos, but I'm not seeing many pigs that lift a leg to show me their goods. If I see a big round pig with a bunch of little piglets, I'm betting sow. If I see a more triangular pig that tends to butt little piglets out of his way, I'm betting boar.

I read descriptions of body shape and snout differences, but for me, it's almost too subtle of a difference to confidently decide when watching a herd in a video that's milling about. Does anyone have any tricks? (Other than rolling them over and checking after the shot.)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wish I were more confident in identifying boars from sows. I watch hog hunting videos, but I'm not seeing many pigs that lift a leg to show me their goods. If I see a big round pig with a bunch of little piglets, I'm betting sow. If I see a more triangular pig that tends to butt little piglets out of his way, I'm betting boar.

I read descriptions of body shape and snout differences, but for me, it's almost too subtle of a difference to confidently decide when watching a herd in a video that's milling about. Does anyone have any tricks? (Other than rolling them over and checking after the shot.)
Boars have an extremely visible sack of goods on there back side. You can usually see there sheath on a side profile view. Why do you need to tell the difference before the shot?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A larger boar will often be alone and and last light, or that's what I've observed from my encounters. (And the giant sack and bassin mentioned!)

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they have good cutters you will see those.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_abc547b0_d5f0_47c6_9a5c_81667ab97e79_zps15ebb30b.jpg
This is the same boar after I boiled the skull out.
i106.photobucket.com_albums_m277_hunter_fish_1132012600.jpg
I'm just hoping to get a sizable boar with cutters for a mount. I'd be disappointed to drop a sow. But either way, it will be fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom