Hog Trapping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good luck getting that pork to taste good. Some people may know how to do it, I've never had any luck or ate any that I could stand.

I agree and normally don't clean pigs, but these were the perfect "eating size". It didn't cost me anything but a little time, so I decided to give these a try.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree and normally don't clean pigs, but these were the perfect "eating size". It didn't cost me anything but a little time, so I decided to give these a try.
You can't eat the large ones. Besides the smell being something you can't imagine, you can't get the gamey taste out. If you try to cook it in your house, throw away the house. Ha.
People tell me about things they did in curing, marinating, smoking etc. with the piglets but I've had no luck whatsoever.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot one a few years ago in Love valley a lone female and it was about 125 lbs with guts.
I skinned her there and deboned her there and into the ice chest she went.

Tasted like store meat.
I have purchased male pigs that were 200+ farm raised and some were not fit to eat.. big balls hanging.. they taste Pissy,
as my wife's grandfather told me they would.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't eat the large ones. Besides the smell being something you can't imagine, you can't get the gamey taste out. If you try to cook it in your house, throw away the house. Ha.
People tell me about things they did in curing, marinating, smoking etc. with the piglets but I've had no luck whatsoever.

You're preaching to the choir. I've tried them from piglet up to about 300 lbs.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Feeding one out may cure the gaminess? Don't know.
I've shot two. One was 150+, the other was 90lbs.
The big one was nasty.
The smaller one was really tasty.
The big one came off free range, the smaller one off a free high fence hunt with corn feeders.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people say the same about venison.

Dieselwrench

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allegro works great for venison. I don't know about pig as I've never tried it nor heard of anyone trying it. I do know for a fact that it works on venison though. I cooked a roast once that my father in law thought was beef.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom