Hogs on public land question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rich guys in helicopters participating in Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program don't want to accidentally shoot you. It's for your safety. Just guessing. LOL!
I’m not sure which tax bracket the folks that work for the OK dept of Agriculture fall into.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is taking part in the Feral Swine Eradication and Control Pilot Program, a program of the United States Department of Agriculture. To ensure projects are conducted effectively, hunting on these WMAs for feral hogs is prohibited: Hackberry Flat, Kaw, Sandy Sanders and Waurika.
How many years has this program been going on?
In my opinion, if the pigs aren’t “eradicated” in a specified time frame, the land needs to be opened back up to public hunting. They can either eradicate them or they can’t, and I’m betting that since it’s a govt program that they can’t. :rolleyes2

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I woke up a few months back with a feral hog in my back yard,,,
I grabbed my rifle and snuck around the side of the house,,,
Only to find the fattest short-hair dog I have ever seen.

Dang thing was friendly as all heck,,,
But it was waddling just to get around.

It had a collar so I assume it's someone's pet,,,
But I haven't seen it again so I'll probably never know.

Aarond

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many years has this program been going on?
In my opinion, if the pigs aren’t “eradicated” in a specified time frame, the land needs to be opened back up to public hunting. They can either eradicate them or they can’t, and I’m betting that since it’s a govt program that they can’t. :rolleyes2
I'm thinking it's been at least two years and maybe three?
I don't have a clue what they are trying, but most studies take many years to see if the plan is successful. Those suckers breed so fast that there has to be pigs moving on to the WMA at Kaw and others constantly from outside of the designated area.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's been at least two years and maybe three?
I don't have a clue what they are trying, but most studies take many years to see if the plan is successful. Those suckers breed so fast that there has to be pigs moving on to the WMA at Kaw and others constantly from outside of the designated area.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens.
Since the govt can screw up a wet dream, expect many more years of no results. :rolleyes2

Paul Box

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I was explained by the ODWC on Lexington WMA after many attempts of questioning them.
It's not legal to "hunt" Feral hogs while on this specific WMA although you can shoot them there.
If you were hunting say "coyotes" , "ground hogs" by legal means and shot a feral hog then you would be withing the legal means of the law. You must either remove the carcass or bury it in place. No wanton waste issues.
Yes, I did say "ground hogs" at Lexington WMA. There are no forking ground hogs at Lex for those that aren't familiar.
I hunt property that is adjacent to this WMA and was trying to make sure that my legal responsibilities were covered. I also asked about other WMA's statewide and they said the same applies, unless stated otherwise in the reg's. Like areas closed during gun season.
Now they did NOT up and offer this info when questioned, I had to derive this from summations and questions during this conversation. Very frustrating if you ask me.
I do know of 2 persons that currently do "shoot feral hogs" at Lex and I have actually been there while the Dept of Ag was out in the helicopters on their hunt & they smoked them.

Take this info as you please.

Latest posts

Top Bottom