Holster Addiction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Started on my second one for my new pistol. The carving is kinda bad...
20160805_200115.jpg

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be a holster snob, but now I use kydex for everything. Function over pretty.

posted via Tapatalk

I like my kydex holsters to: (1). Keep my pistols at the ready in the nightstand (2). Easy On/Easy Off feature
I like leather holsters cause: (1). Comfort (2). Purty

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to post up this one in more detail. I have bought quality holsters from TT Gunleather, Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Kramer...and others, but THIS one has to be my favorite holster in terms of both looks and function. This is the Nightingale Leather Griffon V. It's a snap on OWB holster in Cordovan with Elephant Trim. Kevin Nightingale may not be as well known as Milt Sparks for example, but he does damn fine work and has a wait list of like 28 weeks. He builds all his holsters himself and custom orders are his specialty. I like the dual one-way snaps on each side, that helps ensure that if one were to somehow come loose, which is unlikely, the other will keep the holster on your belt. The holster itself is of the finest, smoothest leather imaginable, and the elephant trim really sets it off, I think. I know I've posted pics of it before somewhere but if you haven't looked at his stuff, well, you should. I just sat here watching CNN prattle on and on about tonight's big debate between the Trumpster and the Hildebeast as I applied a couple of coats of Kiwi polish and then finished it off with some Renaissance Wax. Fine leather begs to be cared for, and I use Kiwi polish and Renaissance Wax on all my good leather rigs. Never would I use saddle soap or mink oil or such on a holster; you don't want the leather to soften and lose it's detail or its retention characteristics. What's that? Belts you say? Oh, I use either a Wilderness 5-stitch or a Kramer Leather Belt in Horsehide. This holster cannot be worn on a cheap Walmart belt! You have to have a sturdy platform to hang your sidearm on, and a good belt is indispensable. Anyway...here it be:

NG front.JPG
NG back.JPG

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are lots of makers are now doing a snap-on rig like this one now. For a good quality holster like this at about half the cost of the Nightingale, look at UBG Holster's Regulator Model. http://www.ubgholsters.com/owb.htm But, cost be damned, I have to hand it to Nightingale Leather for making one beautiful holster. The leather is so smooth is reminds me of the old corfam dress shoes; but it's just top quality cowhide leather. If pancake rigs are more your preference, you might take a look at Kramer Leather. I have the Kramer Belt Scabbard in horsehide for my Commanders, it's the choice I pick in bad weather especially. Kramer's holsters are tough as iron.
kramer scabbard.jpg
kramer rear.jpg

Last edited:

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you on that, at least for OWB. The loops being further apart spreads the weight of the gun out a bit better it seems. BUT, for IWB, even with a 1911, I prefer the design of Milt Sparks SS II. Yes, even though the loops are right there together, it really does holster the gun well. I just don't like a big piece of leather (or God forbid) kydex, stuffed down in me pants. The key to the SS II is a good sturdy belt though. Wear this holster on a flimsy belt and it will sag, especially with a heavier pistol.

SSII.JPG
SSII back.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom