Home made steel target stands.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building some like these:

View attachment 40689

Good one. With the chains, most of the steel target manufacturers recommend a 20 degree slope from top to bottom for AR type steel.

Mild steel, doesn't matter, it will create a crater. Years ago I welded up a steel target backer that was of 1018 steel, 1" thick. Came to me in 8"X8" squares. Ended up with a target frame of 6X8' angled at 45 degrees. We thought the 30-06 rounds would skip off the steel and go into the ground. Not so. They created a crater similar to one shot straight on.

One guy came out with a .300 win mag, and it put bulges into the back of the plate with every shot.

We ended up hanging plates that swung from chains to absorb some of the rounds. The light weight chains quickly went away from the spatter as well. Went to heat treated chains and the problem went way.

moller72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use 1x1 inch angle iron and built a 2'x2' square and attached 2 of those on top of each other and built about 4 foot legs underneath them to hold it up. The way I built them we can have 2 targets set up on each one that way we don't have to go down range as often to change out targets.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a photo of about a third of our pistol range. Just set a few of them up and are still working on the berms, paper target hangers and are building a new set of hinged targets like Hickok45 uses, the one that has the five squares on top and five rounds underneath, we have figured out on the hinged ones we build to use 1/2 gas pipe and then sleeve over it with 3/4, and across the front of the hinged area to install a 2x4, to keep the miss rounds from hitting the 3/4 hinge and dinging them up, all the other is just plain ole 1/2, 3/8 and thinner steel we pick up, when they get beat up, we just replace them. They last quite a long time, the spinners are from a guy on Arms List, they are fun targets, the grandkids love em and they are cheap.

We are changing a few out at a time with AR500, but as long as they are hung loose and can swivel, swing etc, the plain ole steel will last quite awhile, if you keep the hog leg calibers off of it. LOL! We mostly shoot 9mm.

Camach

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a buddy weld this up for me a few months back.

i38.photobucket.com_albums_e116_Camach_Firearms_DEA60DBE_171D_4607_857C_2242162E2496_zps0mecsfwh.jpg

Just replace the 2x4 once it's shot up enough. :D
i38.photobucket.com_albums_e116_Camach_Firearms_8570E5BE_94D1_4FEB_85D7_D36267C18D37_zpso6n7xclp.jpg

The mounting bracket is from a steel target website. It's a simple enough design that I would just replicate it the next time I needed a mount.
i38.photobucket.com_albums_e116_Camach_Firearms_6F37D1CC_737B_4027_8C1E_B7625CAEFEE8_zpsbbquseft.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom