Home remodeling project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you use

• High quality carpet

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hardwood of some sort

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get more carpet. Do a quality laminate and installation with attention to detail. No need to analyze rugs. You can have carpet companies make any piece into a rug. If you're on a slab and you don't like some of your other flooring I would consider pouring epoxy on the whole thing and getting some nice carpet rugs made.

@Ready_fire_aim

I used to to be in that business. Out of practice now but I wouldnt play around with carpet or anything on top of a slab. Pour that epoxy and do a carpet rug with pad. Thats legit.
Epoxy? Before the laminate?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Epoxy? Before the laminate?
No. Just epoxy the whole thing with something that looks nice and then go to the carpet place and get rugs made from carpet. Add padding for your bedroom and size the rug so it's not on the main traffic area. But if you buy carpet rugs, won't be **** if your cats go to town. Get another, roll it out. Floors are still perfect.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY TIMES YOU RUN A STEAM CLEANER OVER THE CARPET IT WILL NEVER BE CLEAN. Carpet is like a diaper that never gets changed.
You and my wife! I can't stand wood floors or tile floors. Give me green shag carpet anytime.
Since I always wear shoes because I was not born with toes. My 10 foot appendages are functional furniture finders.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carpet can't ever be clean. But it is nice. That's why I say, pour a good looking epoxy on the whole house, then pick what you like from carpet company and lay it down as a rug. Pad if you like. But then you're done and have the best of both worlds.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, the house flooded so we were forced to make a decision. I measured and cut, and my wife laid it. It's been 12 years since. Pros: last forever, looks like wood, makes rooms look bigger, doesn't stain, doesn't smell, easy to clean..................Cons: slippery on socks, if you drop something it breaks, sound echoes. We love it. It was real work to install though. Everyone compliments it.

View attachment 512454
PS Currently replacing baseboards........don't tell wife i posted this picture.
Wifey and I did the same thing to our house we were putting on the market. We spent a lot of money on the floors and a lot of sweat equity. I never got to enjoy the fruits of our labor because it sold the next week.

When I found out they had a pet pig . . .

:hellno:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple homes with epoxy throughout. It’s nice. The ones I saw looked like marble swirl. I’m not sure how much it costs per sq ft though.

Carpet does suck. I can see doing carpet occasionally but only in bedrooms.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple homes with epoxy throughout. It’s nice. The ones I saw looked like marble swirl. I’m not sure how much it costs per sq ft though.

Carpet does suck. I can see doing carpet occasionally but only in bedrooms.
I'm about a month away from doing my own CAD thing for civil engineering and oil and gas. But since it'll finally be me in charge, I'm going to do all kinds of planning, design and drawings for contractors, handymen and home owners for an extremely reasonable price.

There is no set price per sq ft. But I could work with Chenry to decide what he likes in appearance, estimate the quantities, show the contractor all the options and current prices and detail the order of operations according to the manufacturers recommendations and the home owners expectations.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to go against the grain, but I was raised on oak flooring and hated it on the cold mornings when having a floor furnace to heat the entire house. It was small, but the floor with an unheated basement was always ice cold.
No pets in the house and we have our carpet steam cleaned on a regular basis. Kitchen and bathrooms are ceramic tile with rugs.
Wife wants to go to the simulated wood floors at home. What stops me is our travels in the RV. Every speck of dirt that comes in to get on the wood grain floor she points at it as says what's that?
Its fawking dirt on my fawking shoes that I brought in because I'm grilling your fawking dinner outside in the fawking rain under an awning on wet dirt with the ribs on the shoe soles.
We live in the country. I'm constantly outside coming in and out of the house. I don't want to put up with that shat at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom