Homemade stone mill idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay. A little update. I've now got a working flour mill. I'm working on a webpage that will provide all the details, but here are some early photos. For a project recap, I wanted to see if I could make a millstone for processing the sizable wheat stores in my preps. This required a lot of research and reading on the topic. It also required quite a bit of testing. But, I successfully converted a box of ten limestone flooring tiles into a pretty cool millstone. This morning, I ground hard white wheat berries into a couple of cups of flour. The missus is going to make some rolls with the flour to see how it tastes.

mill1.jpg

mill2.jpg

mill3.jpg

mill4.jpg

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh WOW :woot: Very, very, very cool EdmondMember!! riper1 is right ... I might need to try this as I was JUST talking to GC today about buying a mill so we could crack our own scratch ...

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I went to your sight and I like what I see. A couple of questions please:

1. Why did you glue them together? Do you really only need 2 stones but need heft and weight so glued them?

2. How did you make them round in the first place? Masonry grinder wheel?

Thanks!

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See my (generally worthless) answers below:

Okay, I went to your sight and I like what I see. A couple of questions please:

1. Why did you glue them together? Do you really only need 2 stones but need heft and weight so glued them?

These things have to be heavy to mash up the grain. I actually wish mine was little heavier, as more weight would let me feed it more kernels at a time. I think you'd have to glue individual tiles together. The finished product needs a single stone on top and one on the bottom. I glued six tiles together for the runner stone and four for the bedstone. My top stone weighs 25 lbs and the bottom weighs 15.

2. How did you make them round in the first place? Masonry grinder wheel?

The first, rough cuts were made with a circular saw and a diamond blade. I cleaned this up with an angle grinder with a masonry wheel.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Test loaf hot from the bread machine, made from home-ground hard white wheat. When it cools, we'll see how it tastes.

loaf.jpg

Update: Turkey sandwich for supper. While I'm not a huge whole wheat bread fan, the bread tasted as good as any store-bought ww bread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom