Hopefully and easy question.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First let me say I am not a hunter, hence the question.
My granddaughter is 14 and is taking the OKLA hunting thing and she wants to go deer hunting when season opens. This will be easy for her, her mom has 10 acres south of Carney, anyway......
What rifle?
What caliber?
I was thinking maybe a NEF with a good scope, but what do I know.
Any and all help is appreciated.
thanks
bud

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NEF would be a fine first gun. I'd go with a .243 if she is a normal sized 14 year old. If on the small size, look at 6.8 spc or .223.

Also, pick up a copy of the 2009 Hunting Regulations for additional youth deer season opportunities.

ETA: Also, use good bullets, not FMJ's

BuddyL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NEF would be a fine first gun. I'd go with a .243 if she is a normal sized 14 year old. If on the small size, look at 6.8 spc or .223.
Also, pick up a copy of the 2009 Hunting Regulations for additional youth deer season opportunities.
ETA: Also, use good bullets, not FMJ's

She is a head size taller than normal, but skinny, basketball coach loves her.
Thanks for the comments.

Abe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
your granddaughter would be exempt from purchasing a hunting license as she is only 14, but would still have to purchase the appropriate deer tag. The catch is that she has to be accompanied by an over 18 adult (presumably an adult with a hunting license, but not fore sure on this part). Also the accompanying adult can't gun hunt with the youth hunter as they are there to provide guidance to the young'en.

+1 on the .243.

hope this helps

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First let me say I am not a hunter, hence the question.
My granddaughter is 14 and is taking the OKLA hunting thing and she wants to go deer hunting when season opens. This will be easy for her, her mom has 10 acres south of Carney, anyway......
What rifle?
What caliber?
I was thinking maybe a NEF with a good scope, but what do I know.
Any and all help is appreciated.
thanks
bud

This is too cool ... and let me be the first to say -- Congratulations, you have just become a hunter! LOL :woohoo1::rotflmao:

(You know pics will have to be forthcoming, don't you??)

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1shott doesn't have his anymore. Those single shots do a great job. I like the .243 too. My kids either started there or with the .22-250. I'm with BB....pics need to be shown. Good luck grandpa.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats, and I think Bass Pro has a Remy in 243 youth in their Fall Sale. I can't remember how much, but it comes with a 3x9 scope already mounted. I think it was around $400? I was thinking about one for my kiddo.:thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom