Hornady critical defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a .380 TCP and have loaded Golden Sabers. I have read some ballistics test that suggest the 102 gr. golden saber is not a good sd round and have heard and seen ballistic texts that suggest that the critical defense is about as good of a .380 SD round there is. Any input?

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Golden Sabre gave 1 jug penetration and Great expansion...

Golden Sabre

Hornady Critical Defense gave a little more penetration and probably same expansion.

Hornady Critical Defense

I'd think either one would really put the hurt on a bad guy if hit in the vitals..!

I carry the Critical Defense in my LCP for no particular reason other than it shot well in my pistol.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an article where all of the popular .380 sd loads were shot into ballistic gel with three layers of denim. The Hornady made 10" of penetration. Pretty impressive for a small round like that.

jhawknokc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw an article where all of the popular .380 sd loads were shot into ballistic gel with three layers of denim. The Hornady made 10" of penetration. Pretty impressive for a small round like that.

That's what I saw too. It was putting up numbers closer to a 9mm than the rest of the rounds available. My initial thinking was get the biggest grain I could (102), but it seems the 90 gr. hornady has better overall ballistics. I have only shot around 15 golden sabers no issues, but before I spend the big bucks buying alot to check for feeding and firing issues, I wanted to at least settle on which one I liked. I think both are good, but I think I am going to give the hornady's a check

Latest posts

Top Bottom