How accurate are your chrono'd velocities?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So today I finally got to go shoot some of my handloads, but I'm trying to figure out if my chronograph (Shooting Chrony F1) is just wacky or what.

Using Vihtavuori N110, I loaded .44 mag with Winchester large pistol primers. I used 18.9 grains of powder under Hornady 240 grain HP-XTP.

Here are the results from my chrono from the first three strings in FPS:

1444 (I suspect this is a true value)
1412 (I suspect this is a true value)

1385 (I suspect this is a true value)

I'm a very detail oriented person and being my first time reloading I weighed each charge to within .2 grains thrown from an RCBS Uniflow. I also would be able to tell the difference in feel between a 1000 fps load and a 2000 fps load.

Are these velocities trash, is there something wrong with the chrono, why didn't my .357 velocities vary like this?

For reference, reported velocities from .357 (15.4 grains N110, CCI SP magnum, Hornady 125 grain HP-XTP):

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've found that the angle of the sun to the skyscreens and the distance from the muzzle are big factors in accuracy of my systems. I have two chronys and one pact system. Muzzle blast can skew results quite a bit and having the angle of the light wrong can also give erroneous readings. Another factor is to be sure the battery is fresh. Good luck.. Blitzfike

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you check those 357 velocities the same day? Those are not kosher, too much variation. Any noticable difference in recoil? Sounds like the chrono is screwy.

.357 velocities were taken about 10 minutes prior to the .44, both today.

How close were you to the chrono?

Neither of those look very good but the .44 data just looks whacked.

Chrono was about 12-14 feet away.

I've found that the angle of the sun to the skyscreens and the distance from the muzzle are big factors in accuracy of my systems. I have two chronys and one pact system. Muzzle blast can skew results quite a bit and having the angle of the light wrong can also give erroneous readings. Another factor is to be sure the battery is fresh. Good luck.. Blitzfike

The screens didn't create a shadow whatsoever on the eye, I'm wondering if the angle of the sun was just too low this time of year (shots fired between 1-2:30 today).

It's been a frustrating day for sure.

You are not shooting inside are you? Florescent lights really mess 'em up.
Outside you got to watch out for moving shadows (like trees).

I was at USSA (outside). No trees/shadows whatsoever.

I did find in the user manual where it states high velocity readings can result from too much light or muzzle blast. But at 12-14 feet, I wouldn't think that muzzle blast would be an issue, maybe so with .44 mag?

Also, I'm thinking I might try it again this weekend with it mounted upside down as my tripod has an extendable arm that would allow me to do that, anyone tried that?

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking of lighting and shadows but you amswered that. I'd erase everything and make sure the battery was good and just try again, don't really know on this. Did you try their website for troubleshooting? I don't know their web address but just suggesting it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I put My C.E.D. chrono in a box, painted the inside flat black, and gave it 50 watt D.C. bulbs...it is amazingly consistent, and reads EVERYTHING!! even B.B.s out of the Red Rider. No more shadows...guessing...interpretation! And Mike has access to it! KurtM

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless its a nice overcast day, I dont put too much weight on my chrono.

^^^^^^ This.

I've had far better luck when cloudy than in sun light. And I've tried it in the shade, out of the shade, with screens, without screens, Cocked at 30 degrees, etc., etc. ad nauseum......

When it picks up it's accurate. But when I load up 20 rounds to test and all I can get to pickup is 8. :scream:

I think I'm going to have to see your setup Kurt. Got any pics?

Latest posts

Top Bottom