How do you decide which max load is the real max load?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Truth I used to be a speed freak and load until I would see pressure signs with the case (rifle) but have figured out that just cause I can get 3000fps from a rifle that most say 2850fps is hot why? I think you will find that most I did say most weapons shoot best in the accuracy department a touch under the max load and this has to be worked up in your firearm.

I used to load 357 Mag and those powders can sneak up on you real fast like! so my suggestion is find a good load that is the most accurate in your weapon and go with that.

You also need to remember that most of the loading manuals are for thier bullets or powder I found out it's not generic for every 165gr bullet to load XX.xgr powder and it work for every 165gr bullet. Some have more bearing surface, they may be longer and you get into the lands a touch! it may cost more in the long run but if i'm after a load for said 165gr bullet with X brand of powder I normally visit their website for the newest information, if they don't have the said bullet powder combination I'm after I'll start way down low and work it up slow until I find something accurate or the chrony says I better watch things. If you don't have a chrony I'd suggest it a tool you add to your loading equipment it has helped me a lot over the years with some of the crazy stuff I load for.

This board is full of guys willing to help you out so this is another good tool, biggest thing is don't get in a hurry! one day you will mess up it's just part of it but take your time it's all good :-) Later,

Kirk

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We often talk about max powder loads and forget to read the fine print about what primer, case, and specific bullet was used, as if none of this mattered. A change in primer can add 5,000 PSI.

If any component is changed from the original recipe, than the pressure produced will change, sometimes significantly.

In straight-walled pistol cases, particularly cartridges with low pressure SAAMI specs (like .38 special and .45 Colt) the first definitive pressure sign may be the topstrap hitting the ceiling. "Reading the cases" as is done in high-pressure rifle cartridges does not always work.

I agree 100%! Also, I would not attempt to Load even close to max. without a cronograph. Without one, the short answer is you really don't know where your loads are at, due to the above and, among other things, differences in individual firearms, and temperatures. My youngest son almost blew up a model 96 beretta, because of accidentially deep seated bullets (lube build up in the seater die) which I thought would be OK.

Latest posts

Top Bottom