How hot is it...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked in un-airconditioned machine shops and un-airconditioned power plants all my life where working temps could exceed 140 degrees which is medium rare for a steak.
Power plant only allowed 20 minutes at a time in the area with a one hour period to hydrate and cool down. 100 degrees in the sun felt cool.
Summers in Oklahoma didn't bother me much but since retiring I'm not acclimated to the high heat and its no longer bearable.
Might have to turn into a snow bird in the RV?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad would buy as many as 3,000+ bales in the field, providing they weighed 65lbs or more. Guess who the lead man on our (only) 14ft flatbed truck was. Lol, I could stack 84 bales tight on that sucker.

Normally we'd hire two guys to throw bales on the truck while I stacked, but sometimes we could only get one helper. Those days I'd throw some on the truck with 'em, climb up and stack, then do it again.

One day, a guy (couple years older than me) worked with us like that until we broke for lunch. He didn't even come back to collect his morning's pay. :D

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's so hot the cows are giving dehydrated milk and the chickens are laying hard boiled eggs.

It's so hot that hell is a local phone call. (You need to be old enough to remember phones before cell phones.)

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a kid, a favorite saying was, "It's hot enough to fry eggs on the sidewalk."

Actually meant very little to me, as we lived in the country and had nothing but some bricks Mom laid out. And they were shaded most of the day. :D

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got paid ... "ZERO!" I was free labor for the state of Oklahoma. I wasn't big enough to buck bales (alfalfa), but my Dad said, 'you can durn sure learn how to stack a truck!' And, learn I did. There were times we were running two flat beds and when I got one loaded, the second one was sitting there waiting. I would jump off a full load and on to an empty flat bed and start the process all over again. That is exactly how I had my heat stroke. Passed completely out.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ice Cream Truck in Oklahoma.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom