How much authority does a security guard actually have

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMoreEvan

This is bowling, there are rules. MARK IT ZERO
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actual security guard here. It depends on their Cleet level, a level 2 is mostly observe and report (considering they're unarmed), level 4 carries a firearm (and pepper spray if their company is worth anything). As far as arrests go, they don't have any more authority than any other citizen, so they can citizens arrest someone if they witness a felony. Now that's not to say they won't put hands on someone if necessary (Lord knows I did it plenty of times working at the mental hospital when someone would try to hurt a staff member like a nurse or PCA or something). For the most part, if they tell you to leave, just leave, we don't like dealing with police any more than you do, and I really hate doing incident reports. Anyway, you're free to walk away at any time basically, as long as they don't say they're investigating a felony. I'm not a cop, so I'm not investigating anything, I'm just going to tell you to leave and not come back. I can't speak on retail security since that's mostly for rookies and the pay is absolutely dookie from what I've heard.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends. They all have the power of citizens arrest for felonies, but that may be against policy. If they are a 3rd party company, they usually don't have much and can just observe and report. If they are in house they typically are "agents of the property owner" and have the same power a property owners has when it comes to removing people from the property. Being bound to private property they can do some things things a police officer can't, like the ability th to conduct searches without a warrant and physically removing people from the property for any reason. Just like how you can toss someone out of your house. Hospital security is a different level and can go hands on and restrain people for medical.p or behavioral purposes, unlock.cars at the owners request, traffic stop on property ticket and boot vehicles and travel over the speed limit with lights and ssirens. Also assaulting hospital security is a felony and opposed to a misdemeanor with regular security. Private corporate and executive protection officers may be carrying msgs and can shoot you dead if needed, likewise the armored car guys are "private security." and Isn't really depends on employer, Fleet and location.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CLEET really has all the answers you seek. Oklahoma law is pretty well codified for security.
Level 1/2 is basically an observe and report, same as any citizen, as previously stated.
Level 3/4 can be armed but there are several requirements that must be met.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I and my brothers had a bad encounter with one at the National Finals years ago back when it was in Okc. He would not let us in to get our two horses. He laid hands on the little brother, that got him beat by 3 young kids and his neck tied to a light pole. We got our two horses out and left. There was witnesses that identified us, but nothing came of it as we were 13, 11 and 9 years old. He was found to have operated out side his capacity and laid hands on the 9 year old.

Latest posts

Top Bottom