How to secure trail cams?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're down about three cameras on my lease. Couple of stands, a cabin break in, happily valdalism free, etc. Fact of life, and cost of doing business. Hate it, but opening a war with this sort of local low life just gets you burned out or worse. They have little to loose, and we got a lot.

So vent, secure what you can, and decide if you can live with the aggravation. One good friend left the lease after getting worked up to near heart attack levels. The rest of us wouldn't let him take deadly reprisal action. We pretty much know who it is, but can't prove it.

I hate to sound like a wuss, but am into hunting, not revenge. I can afford the occasional camera. We do plan to do the two camera trick this fall, but our local leos aren't too enthusiastic about working the area where this yutz lives, and I for one don't blame 'em. CB

firewalker600

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This has worked for me and I place cameras on public property. We use a heavy electrical junction box and put hinges on them and a lock. inside we drill to holes and put lag bolts in the tree. take a drill bit and pre-drill the hole and a ratchet to put the lags in place. Some of our locks are external and some are internal. If you want to make it a little more secure you can put it up high with a ladder and tilting down. Only thing is you have to take the ladder to pull the card or put in some spikes and climb to get it. Also the camera itself can be secured in the box with a cable. Drill two holes in the back side of the box and slip the cable threw and a second lock to secure the camera to the cable or locks on the camera if you have places for them. Been lucky so far using this set up. Sorry that some scum sucking low life did this. I hope that this helps and you and daughter have a successful hunting season.

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The camera was stolen from my parents place and well was inside the fence line. So not only is the theft irritating, the person was also trespassing. The trespassing is fairly innocuous as long as nothing goes missing. When I was a kid I wandered the woods quite a bit but I never took anything that didn't belong to me. Even my parents don't have too much of a problem with it as long as their stuff and cattle is left alone.

So with that lengthly explanation, I will be in the woods on opening morning for bow season. If someone is out there, they are not supposed to be, they will be asked to leave and not come back. Since I do not have any definitive proof who stole the camera, I probably won't mention it. The person I believe it is, is the husband of one of my cousins, so that adds some complexity to the situation. He was allowed to hunt out there a couple years back but due to his conduct was told to not come back. He also knows I haven't bow hunted in a few years.

Regardless of all that, I've been thinking about a good way to limit the chance of lossing another camera. Since it's private land and I've got the 5 deer stands that I've been using since I was a pup, I can put out something permanent for cameras. -And actually I only have to worry about the one my daughter is going to hunt out of- I've got plenty of 3" pipe and sheet steel laying around to build something fairly sturdy that can be cemented in the ground. Of course even that can be stolen but it will be plenty of work. Building something will be my winter project and I'll post some pictures when I'm done. My parents want me to build a couple so that they put cameras out and catch who ever it is, if nothing else but to know just in case something else goes missing.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Someone stole my deer feeder so I haven't put my camera back out.
I am going to put it out and hope to get pics of them without it getting stolen also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom