How would you ship guns and ammo to someone’s FFL?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The buyer will contact the ffl of his choice. You take your gun to your ffl and they pretty much work out the rest of it. You just need the name of the buyers ffl. Ffl’s have access to a national database with phone numbers and emails. Pretty straight forward process.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Include an invoice and a photo copy of your drivers license. If you sell the gun for say $500 put $100 on the invoice. My brother sent me my dads 30-30 and the FFL had to collect sales tax so I was taxed on the $100 instead of the blue book value.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Include an invoice and a photo copy of your drivers license. If you sell the gun for say $500 put $100 on the invoice. My brother sent me my dads 30-30 and the FFL had to collect sales tax so I was taxed on the $100 instead of the blue book value.

The FFL collected sales tax on a transfer? I shipped a pistol to a guy's FFL in AZ and as long as I included an invoice that it was paid for they didn't collect it for this transfer.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The FFL collected sales tax on a transfer? I shipped a pistol to a guy's FFL in AZ and as long as I included an invoice that it was paid for they didn't collect it for this transfer.

I've had several transfers through an FFL and never paid anything more than the transfer fee. The seller should be collecting the tax with the payment, not the receiving FFL.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW to the OP pistols need to go FFL>FFL.

OK... For like the 987th time on this forum alone, anyone can ship a handgun to a licensed dealer. It DOES NOT need to go FFL>FFL. I don't know where this got started but it is absolutely, 100% incorrect. A private individual can ship a handgun via any common carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc). They just can't ship a handgun thru the post office.

Having said that, the receiving FFL is free to accept, or not accept, shipments/handguns from non-licensed individuals. It's not the law, but it is their prerogative.

This question comes up 2 or 3 times a year (or more) on gun forums. Stop perpetuating the lie that handguns must go FFL>FFL.

If you just search:

"who can ship a handgun", you'll come up with this link to the ATF FAQ page that says this:

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

Something to notice from that answer that few people know: You can mail a long gun to someone in your state. For example, if I make a deal to buy a shotgun from a member here, he/she can mail/ship it directly to me. An FFL transfer is NOT required. Of course, it's incumbent upon the seller to know who he/she is dealing with.