Hummingbirds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was off year for me. I saw a couple of scouts (one was a Black-Chinned) early April, then nothing for weeks. Finally, I seen a few hanging out the last few weeks. I keep the food fresh and all but this year was just different. Normally I have 3 show up (1 male & 2 females Ruby-Throated) and end up with 6-7 by end of year. Not a large crowd at all even though I run 3 feeders, one in the front and two in the back yard. I guess this particular spot is not a haven of any type but generally consistent. They do return to the same spots each year. Proof of that is two different years I was slow to get the feeders out. The hummers would return in the spring and be hovering outside the living room window (where a feeder has been placed for 18yrs) staring in the house, doing that chirping thing. I think they were saying "Hey Bud, WTF, I just flew a looong asss way and I'm thirsty!"

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t have a count on birds but for the last two months they have been eating two cups per day. Glad sugar is relatively cheap. Watching them this morning and thinking in another month will all be gone south. Will miss them.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These 2 and at least 2 others have been dive bombing each other all day. They get all pissy when I take the feeder to clean and fill, buzz the bedroom window as long as it's inside.
Hummers.jpeg

gunnut918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummingbirds have dwindled to maybe a half dozen. Are they leaving early. Has anyone else noticed a drop in population. Until two weeks ago I was putting out two cups a day. Last one took almost a week. Put out new yesterday, will see how long it lasts. Won’t leave more than a week without changing.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummingbirds have dwindled to maybe a half dozen. Are they leaving early. Has anyone else noticed a drop in population. Until two weeks ago I was putting out two cups a day. Last one took almost a week. Put out new yesterday, will see how long it lasts. Won’t leave more than a week without changing.
I am seeing a slight decrease it seems.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I think so. We put out over 2 gallons in 6 feeders every 7-10 days at our cabin. Last week there was at least 24. Went out today and only 1/2 of the nectar was gone and I would estimate ( little buggers are hard to count) only a dozen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom