Hunting Apps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
ive been using Huntstand. It’s pretty handy for wind direction and marking things like stands and feeders. What are you guys using? I’ll say I’m a cheap SOB and use free apps whenever I can.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, you got me Jeff! However, it does give wind predictions by day and has been fairly accurate. Sometimes depends on whether I make the drive to the lease or not.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to admit I don’t use it that much. I know which way the wind is blowing and how hard by the Mesonet but I like the satellite picture so I can study stuff if I want

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have to admit I don’t use it that much. I know which way the wind is blowing and how hard by the Mesonet but I like the satellite picture so I can study stuff if I want

The reason I like Weatherbug is for the hour by hour weather which includes the wind direction. It's generally right on the money within a few minutes of accurate wind change times.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm only busting chops because I have no cell phone and I just like to go hunting when I have time to do so.
I care less about wind direction. I have never hunted in the woods and cared which way the wind was blowing.

I never know which way the deer will come from.

When I was 14 I took seat belt webbing with me to make a chair to sit in . I made a sling on a fence post that was ran with 4 strings of barbed wire.
I had a deer crawl right under the fence 2" away from me Yes inches.. it's hide was almost touching me.

Dad fell asleep and he snores very loud. Had a deer snort in his face while he was sleeping. Blew deer spit all over his face.
Buddy took a wiz 400+ yards from where he was going to sit down and hunt. 30 minutes later he seen deer come out and smell his pee.
Next day I decided to wiz on the other side of a pipe line where i was hunting wind blowing towards my wizz and my scent would be going the same way from where I was perched in a tree in my seat belt webbing.
2 deer came out and investigated the wizz, I took the larger one.. This was a just few years ago.

Walking down a clear cut trail talking to a buddy 50 yards away I reach his area and he told me there is a deer following me just 10-20 feet behind me .. said it had been following me for some time.
I told him well we best not stop talking or it will get scared and run.
We kept talking as he raised his gun to shoot it.. He missed! Too close I suppose.

Deer are curious and at the same time skittish. It is movement that scares them and not so much the smell.
At least that is what I think. And movement when everything is silent is the worst.
I will place my 9 volt powered tiny transistor radio in the woods as an attractant and see if it works.
I will tune in a station and put it on low volume.. see if the curiosity will bring them in.

I have seen many times when we are talking in deer camp the deer come investigate. or just out fishing on the river and deer walk right to your area and stare at you while you are talking and fishing.

I have sat still watching deer play in the woods while hunting and allergies have got to me a couple times and I sniffed.
All the deer stop moving and look right at me.

Yea busted.. Now it is very quiet and the skittish begins. I then chuck/bark like a squirrel a few times.
Then all the deer relax and start playing again.

If you worry about scent make a small fire from twigs and leaves and walk around in the smoke before heading into the woods.
Usually have that smell in the woods anyway and deer not so afraid of what they are used to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom