Husband/Wife Ar15 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are doing dual builds. Hers is quite far ahead of mine (by mutual agreement since I have 5 guns of my own already).

Wife's is on top:
Magpul ACS-L milspec stock
MOE grip
Aero Precision Lower
Palmetto State LPK
Model 1 Tactical Upper
Model 1 Tactical BCG/Charging Handle (just basic milspec stuff)
Model 1 Tactical EM Shaw-blank pencil profile Stainless 16" barrel (more about that later)
She wants a scope (thinking Redfield Battlezone since I've had good experience with Redfield in the past) and stainless muzzle brake in the future...when funds permit

Mine is on bottom:
MOE+K grip
Aero lower
PSA LPK
Plan on a CTR or STR stock (although also considering a ACE SOCOM stock) with a pencil/lightweight profile 16" barrel
MOE mid-length handguard
Also plan on cerakoting the upper/lower in FDE with all furniture being FDE

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_20130407_201735_zps3cc46e3c.jpg

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_20130407_201700_zps20f1c22a.jpg

Tell me what you think...
The wife just wanted an AR with a stainless barrel for cosmetics, and she quickly figured out she wanted a lighter barrel profile. Now, reading up, I found that stainless has about half the thermal conductivity of normal barrel steel. So since the stainless will act as an insulator, the barrel will remain hotter longer. Some peeps on ARfcom seem to think a light profile stainless barrel will cause warping and sever inaccuracy. What do the wise and venerable members of OSA think?

Granted, she hasn't fired it yet, but she loves the upper. The whole damn unit is very light (6 lbs) and is very maneuverable. Hopefully it'll live up to her expectations...

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the light profile stainless barrel looks very cool. Can't say anything about the thermal aspect of it but I would think it would most likely only be a problem if running a lot of ammo through it in rapid succession. And since ammo is so expensive right now, that might be unlikely!

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice looking projects! You'll be fine on the barrel. It might produce more vertical stringing than a heavier profile, but nothing too bad... maybe a MOA or two. That is the price of light weight. Warping and severe inaccuracy? LOL... where do they come up with this stuff?

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the light profile stainless barrel looks very cool. Can't say anything about the thermal aspect of it but I would think it would most likely only be a problem if running a lot of ammo through it in rapid succession. And since ammo is so expensive right now, that might be unlikely!

I don't think the wife will be doing that anytime soon either :)

Nice looking projects! You'll be fine on the barrel. It might produce more vertical stringing than a heavier profile, but nothing too bad... maybe a MOA or two. That is the price of light weight. Warping and severe inaccuracy? LOL... where do they come up with this stuff?

Whatever makes the woman happy. :P
Turns out these barrels are almost impossible to find, just makes me wonder if there is a reason.
Anyway, my wife is very happy to have a unique, "custom" barrel.

You are a very fortunate man

Yes I am!
She's all in for a CC pistol and a gunsafe too!