Hydraulic pump help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about hydraulics and neither does the guy needing help with a cobbled together log splitter. So he got this on a horse trade and is trying to fix it up. Ram runs in and out good but under a load it locks the pump up and Kills the engine. Someone tell me that this hose routing doesn’t look right.

Attachments

• 1EEAA67F-99C1-49A2-9740-2DB323D8AC12.jpeg
    1EEAA67F-99C1-49A2-9740-2DB323D8AC12.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 35

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Could be a dual pump setup where the drive shaft drives two pump elements that combine their force, similar to how putting two batteries in parallel doubles the amperage. Sounds more like his pump is not producing enough pressure to overcome the resistance of the log and it locks up the pump. Do you have a make/model of the splitter?

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be a dual pump setup where the drive shaft drives two pump elements that combine their force, similar to how putting two batteries in parallel doubles the amperage. Sounds more like his pump is not producing enough pressure to overcome the resistance of the log and it locks up the pump. Do you have a make/model of the splitter?

it’s all homemade out of a I beam

gunmut

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know nothing about hydraulics and neither does the guy needing help with a cobbled together log splitter. So he got this on a horse trade and is trying to fix it up. Ram runs in and out good but under a load it locks the pump up and Kills the engine. Someone tell me that this hose routing doesn’t look right.
You have two gear pumps shown in the picture. Killing the engine under load is due to the torque demand being more than the engine can supply. Most log splitter uses what's called a hi/lo circuit to reduce total torque required. Make sure you have a hi/lo valve and it is adjusted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom