I’m not even sure what’s real anymore…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up some books on old military rifles thinking it would help me make informed purchases, but it has led me to the conclusion that I’m never buying another one again. A lot of what people are selling is probably fake and I think most of them don’t even know it. Imagine a gunsmith in the late 90s takes an interest in the Mosin Sniper, so he buys a few Tula 91/30s for dirt cheap. He goes all out and marks them with a C, mounts a scope, refinishes the rifle, electro stencils the mount and then sells them honestly as reproductions. Now someone buys it, enjoys it as a repro, then dies so his family sells it as part of an estate. The buyer thinks they got the deal of a lifetime and makes no effort to verify where it came from, so now 20 years later we have a nearly indistinguishable clone. There is another Mosin called a “KGB Mosin” thats basically like a 91/59 but with all the distinguishing marks obliterated for clandestine KGB operations. You can see why that is highly desirable, but I’m pretty sure all you would have to do to fake one is take a 38 and remove all of the markings, grind the rear sight then refinish it. I’m rambling a bit, but it seems like it’s practically impossible to know without provenance whether you are buying a fake, but with so many people buying fakes I’m debating if it even matters as long as the price is right.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently picked up some books on old military rifles thinking it would help me make informed purchases, but it has led me to the conclusion that I’m never buying another one again. A lot of what people are selling is probably fake and I think most of them don’t even know it. Imagine a gunsmith in the late 90s takes an interest in the Mosin Sniper, so he buys a few Tula 91/30s for dirt cheap. He goes all out and marks them with a C, mounts a scope, refinishes the rifle, electro stencils the mount and then sells them honestly as reproductions. Now someone buys it, enjoys it as a repro, then dies so his family sells it as part of an estate. The buyer thinks they got the deal of a lifetime and makes no effort to verify where it came from, so now 20 years later we have a nearly indistinguishable clone. There is another Mosin called a “KGB Mosin” thats basically like a 91/59 but with all the distinguishing marks obliterated for clandestine KGB operations. You can see why that is highly desirable, but I’m pretty sure all you would have to do to fake one is take a 38 and remove all of the markings, grind the rear sight then refinish it. I’m rambling a bit, but it seems like it’s practically impossible to know without provenance whether you are buying a fake, but with so many people buying fakes I’m debating if it even matters as long as the price is right.
It doesn't help that century or another importer made fake snipers, either. I really like the 91/59 though should of bought one years ago.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also I don't know if you are a follower of https://www.reddit.com/r/MosinNagant/new/ those guys are really on top of the mosin game.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All someone can do is become educated as much as you can on the gun you want to buy, and maybe have someone you trust confirm the authenticity of it. I found asking respected experts on some gun forums will give advice if they are provided pics. I’ve purchased a few WW1 & 2 rifles that way & learned a lot in the process.
I’ve been selling some of my rifles since retirement & have offered buyers to have them appraised prior to purchase.

SPOONBILL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A fool and his money are soon parted.

IF it is something I want and the price is acceptable, then go for it.

I don't buy collectibles, I buy chooters.
Im with you. While I can look at an old milsurp and appreciate it for the history it has, they aren't my thing. I even stopped buying off the rack rifles a long time ago. I save my money till I can build what I want. Life is too short to be shooting big groups out in the 8 and 9 ring.

ParrotPirate

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't help that century or another importer made fake snipers, either. I really like the 91/59 though should of bought one years ago.
I wouldn’t mind one of those repros as long as it is being sold honestly as one. I think it would be fun to shoot. I don’t own a lot of mil-surps, but I did get a 91/59 when I found one. The trigger is the best I’ve ever found on a Mosin.

Bill_Long_Tan

Marksman
Reaction score
The old saying: if it looks to good to be true then it probably is...

Latest posts

Top Bottom