I had a rabbit have 2 litters of babies ... ONE WEEK APART ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I would have thought that one baby had lived long enough to survive but nope. :( Went out this morning and found him cold as ice. :( :( Did my VERY uneducated version of a necropsy (cuz it's been a long long long time) and didn't see anything that just jumped out at me. Oh well ... these things happen.

My best guess is that the first litter (which has eyes open and are hopping around all over the place like mexican jumping beans) probably were just too much competition, like MOM said. Next time this happens (if it does, because my bucks are now segregated away where nobody's getting any action unless it's sanctioned ... lol) and I have a mom with a litter the same age, I'll just move him over.

Doe "B"'s babies, which were born either the next day or 2 days after, I can't remember without looking ... damned Old Timer's :grumble: ... are doing fine.

The chickens got a nice snack this morning. Onward ...

So ... for those of you keeping track:

Doe A: 8 babies, 1 died in 1st 24 hours, rest doing well; 1 week later had 1 baby, died approximately 10 days later.
Doe B: 7 babies, all doing well.

Both does are 1st timers. The other thing? Doe B will let me check on the babies without trying to rip my arm off like the Monty Python rabbit. Doe A gets to have one more litter. If she doesn't mellow out, she's gone. Doe B is definitely gonna be part of the base of my breeding stock.

We'll see how it goes with Does C and D when that time comes.

I'm grateful that this week has cooler than normal temps. It's better for my rabbits. The chicks, ducks and dogs kinda enjoy this cooler weather, too. Not a big fan of the 90s and above around here ... lol

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very interesting BB. . . it's really funny one of the doe's wants to kill you just for looking at the bunnies. Guess it's a good thing it's not one like this. . .
Rabbit.jpg

Cause if it was you wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell in making it out alive.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BB it is strange how similar things are here. My 2 does that currently have kits (Alpha and Charlie) Alpha is as sweet as can be, Charlie well you know how those mean b's are. We also have kits of 8 and 7 currently and use phoneitc alphabet names, 2 bucks are Xray and Zulu.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BB it is strange how similar things are here. My 2 does that currently have kits (Alpha and Charlie) Alpha is as sweet as can be, Charlie well you know how those mean b's are. We also have kits of 8 and 7 currently and use phoneitc alphabet names, 2 bucks are Xray and Zulu.

Huh ... that is odd ... do I remember you saying they are both first-time moms?? Or am I mistaken?

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, A had no idea the first time, but she has been great this second go around. C is a first timer and one cranky biotch, can't really toss her in a stew pot since shes a good mom.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, A had no idea the first time, but she has been great this second go around. C is a first timer and one cranky biotch, can't really toss her in a stew pot since shes a good mom.

Ahhh ... my mistake. I know what you mean about the cranky one. This old girl will get one more try and that's it. I look like a freaking cutter my arms are so torn up. Her babies are fat as ticks though. Since this second doe is so mild mannered I'm a lot more inclined to keep her to build up my breeding stock. I hope the other 2 are more like Doe B than Doe A.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Butcher 1 for dinner! Yummy

Lol, funny you should say that! We are about 3 weeks away from. One of them has bought himself -- or herself, I haven't checked -- a presidential pardon because he/she is VERY friendly and tame. Every time I am out in the backyard the little sweetie pie is bucking around and climbing on the sides of the pen trying to get my attention. He LUV LUV LUVS to be scratched between the ears and under the chin. :P

A member here has a daughter who "needs" a little bunny rabbit ... I think this little guy will make a good pet ... so, no frying pan for him ... :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom