I Need a 4500 stall converter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or maybe a little higher stall 4800 or even flash to 5000 would not hurt my feelings.
Transmission is a 4L80E and 3800lb truck with 3.73 gears.

Gets driven 7 miles to work and only time it is driven it to mash the go pedal to the floor and have fun.
This build had too many hands on it and the guy that put most of it together is not the owner and he thought a 2800/3200 stall would be wonderful so that is what it has now a Circle D and i think it is 12" diameter.

It is a pooch out of the hole with 2.1 60 foot times NOT spinning.
6.2LS that makes 389 HP at the wheels.

For you guys that are not afraid of high stall converters what do you run today and any of you have the LS and OD transmissions?

I am old school and still run my TH 350 in my stuff and I am partial to Coan converters.
I love when I run my 4500 stall coan in my 57 chevy.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Freakshow torque converters on e-bay,,found about him on Yellow bullet.com,,,he used to work for art carr in TX and some other place in tx after AC closed down, has a lot of experience building TC's ,,right now he has 686 sales @100% on e-bay,

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a really crappy 60ft, does he suck at launching?
My little 4.7 in a full size truck used to 60' better than that with way less power on a similar stall.
He should be at least .5 faster in the 60 with whats described.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think that heavy guts 4L80E and the 2.48 low gear in it is killing the 60 and the large cam and stockish compression. 3.73 gears do not help matters as this thing needs a 4.56
Cam its most likely ground on a 113LSA.
If the 4.7 had the lower first gear in the trans 3.059 in the 4L60E I can see a better 60.

My 57 4 door at almost the same weight as this truck pulled 1.7 60 foot and my timing had retarded on me to 28 total vs the 38 total it needed. Should have went 1.6.
And I am down 100hp and 100 torque at the wheels vs this truck.
All in the combo.

I had built 1 engine for a 220" dragster with a powerglide years ago AFR head sbc 355" and used a Freakshow converter, I was not too impressed.
No idea how one would work for a 4L80 though.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would contact Circle D and see what they recommend and if they can re-stall the existing converter. Also make sure it stays a lock-up converter and you have a large enough transmission cooler for the heat a larger converter could cause.

David

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that heavy guts 4L80E and the 2.48 low gear in it is killing the 60 and the large cam and stockish compression. 3.73 gears do not help matters as this thing needs a 4.56
Cam its most likely ground on a 113LSA.
If the 4.7 had the lower first gear in the trans 3.059 in the 4L60E I can see a better 60.

My 57 4 door at almost the same weight as this truck pulled 1.7 60 foot and my timing had retarded on me to 28 total vs the 38 total it needed. Should have went 1.6.
And I am down 100hp and 100 torque at the wheels vs this truck.
All in the combo.

I had built 1 engine for a 220" dragster with a powerglide years ago AFR head sbc 355" and used a Freakshow converter, I was not too impressed.
No idea how one would work for a 4L80 though.

545RFE is what's behind the 4.7 and 5.7 in the 3rd gen Rams, it has a 3.00 1st gear. My 4.7 would 1.9 60ft with almost half the power of your buddies setup.
Mildly modded 5.7s, similar to his setup, would get 1.5x-1.6x 60ft

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats a really crappy 60ft, does he suck at launching?
My little 4.7 in a full size truck used to 60' better than that with way less power on a similar stall.
Yeah, I thought he was making a sandwich for later at the line.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't guess I understand the 5k stall converter here. That sounds like a pretty mild build. It makes it's power at high RPMs?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. I don't guess I understand the 5k stall converter here. That sounds like a pretty mild build. It makes it's power at high RPMs?

A lot of these GM LS engines are so slow out of the hole and it is due to low cranking pressures that stem from 10ish compression and wide LSA cams which close the intake valve late.

Stick a much larger cam in and close the intake valve even later and you really need gear multiplication to get one out of the hole.
This transmission is a 2.48:1 first gear and the 3.73 rear gear hurts it. It needs a 4.56 gear.
Or needs to launch where it makes max TQ.
Launch 2000 rpm below max torque and you must play catch up.

I am sure you have taken off from a stop light and the car goes but really begins to pull hard once you get the RPM up.

This setup currently does not get the RPM up very quickly.

Now if it was me building it the thing would have 11.5 compression and valve reliefs in the pistons that would allow me to run the proper camshaft timing to make much more power down low and up top.

I did not build it though.
Everyone that built it had strong daily driver in mind.

The owner had unruly daily driver drag truck in mind.

I will say this it gets really good MPG if you keep your foot out of it.
Mid 20's
Not what the owner wanted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom