Well I was beat up on.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got my 1947 Dodge truck running again and with an engine I built for a 3/4 ton Chevy that sits in the drive way.
355" flat tops ported 305 heads 1.84-1.50 valves and 230@ .050 cam Comp 280H .480" lift and I advanced it a lot for more low end TQ to get the heavy Chevy rolling.

I am running a cast iron Q jet intake that I plenum ported and a 600 Edelbrock and HEI distributor.
Nothing fancy at all but it is respectable With TH350 and 3.89 rear gears.

The guy that beat up on me today was the owner Of Willhoite's cams.
He grinds all my camshafts.

He has a Chevy short bed 1986 Truck with Posi and 3.73 gears 3200 stall 4L80E and 6.2 LS built by some of his buddies in TX.
Camshaft is over .620" lift.

From a roll or dead stop he beat me.
:(
He has about 5 car lengths on me at the end which is good for between 1/2 and 3/4 of a second.
That is a lot to make up.

Good thing this engine was not supposed to be a hot rod deal just a good Pulling TQ engine with 10.62 compression.
I was running my Goodyear wranglers 235-75-15 and he had his Nitto 555RII drag radials 325-50-15
Not that it would have mattered he kept pulling away.

Can't win em all.

I do not like the small LS engines but these 6.0 and 6.2 and larger ones impress me.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Load up the W/D set for more weight over the rear axle.
I had my riding mower in the bed when I went over there to mow.
That extra 500 lbs really would have killed it.

What's the advantage of flat top pistons? Always wondered that.
The dished piston can have a volume of 10cc or 23cc or more and the flat top is just that a flat top with some valve reliefs cut into it, my reliefs measure 5.5cc.

A 23cc dish piston would take my 10.62 compression down to 8.8.
I have measured some junk replacement pistons with more dish than 23cc.

That was a crate 350 from Oreilly auto parts a friend put into a truck for his daughter and added a 268H cam.
Zero power anywhere and done at 5000 rpm.
I took him for a ride in my 350 with a 268H I had and it would rev to 7200 RPM before valve float.

I ported some heads he got and replaced the dished with flat tops and he then had some fun until his transmission broke.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I am not going LS just yet.
I have too many old school big block and small blocks to blow up first.

I have this 383 Stroker small block I will be finishing up and go back and put the hurt on that 500 HP LS.
I will put my sticky tires on this next time and not the mud and snow tires :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom