1947 Dodge Back on the road :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I did not know i blew this engine up 4 years ago.
My tag sticker was from 2019!
She is up and running and No nasty fuel if you can believe that.
New to it is a 355" cast flat top with 230@ .050 .480" lift 110LSA cam that is way advanced.
I advanced it a ways to add a lot of low end TQ, not that it would be down on it with 10.6 compression and 170cc intake runners.
Ported 601 heads, ported Iron Q jet intake and ported 600 edelbrock.

It gets it on out of the hole 3.89 gears in the 9" with a spool.
TH 350 transmission.
I hauled 2 yards of good dirt from cow town the other day in it and hauled off some scrap iron.

Weight with me in it on the scales was 3,280 pounds.

Timing 19° at 900 RPM and 12" vacuum there.
33° @ 2000 RPM and 19" vacuum and timing maxes out at 38°.

Been slowly tweaking the tune as it will be going into the 3/4 ton I got off the forum.
Soon as I get another engine stuck together to plunk into the truck.

My Harbblok filler should be here today or tomorrow and is going into a 383 stroker chevy that I am hoping will be quick in this truck.
002.JPG

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No nasty fuel if you can believe that.
About 20 years ago, my dad got his dad’s ‘51 Ford pickup running after it had sat next to their garden since the ‘70s, if not the ‘60s. We expected to find severe nastiness in the gas tank, as it had been sitting there with drip gas for all those years, but that thing was shiny as a new penny inside, with not even a hint of corrosion.

My ‘06 Lincoln sat in my garage for a couple of years when I first got retired, and the gasoline was so far gone that it was mostly water. I’d bet that if you dropped a match in it, it would go out—it rusted all the steel parts of the fuel pumps, so the first thing we had to do to get it back on the road was replace them. If it hadn’t been a plastic tank, it probably would’ve rusted out.

And the funny part is that car never saw ethanol. That was Conoco 91 100% gasoline that went to hell…

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MY fuel was 91 octane 7-11.
And probably had some E10 in it.

Friend had a steel tank in her Taurus that sat about the same time frame and it was OnCue fuel.

That fuel turned to varnish and had a lot of stalactites of red matter hanging off the top of the tank.
Looked like rust but was just fuel additives No rust marks after cleaning the tank.

Odd stuff

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

1947 Dodge Back on the road :)

swampratt said: Weight with me in it on the scales was 3,280 pounds.

So not only do you overload trailers, you overload old pickups! LOL

So you are saying basically get my FAT ARSE out of your truck and you will be here soon to pick it up and give it a real loving home.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dude!! You know you could drive by the store every once in a while so I can drool ... Btw, did you drive that pick-up over here a week or so ago?? Because if you didn't someone else has one that looks EXACTLY like it. I just happen to see it going north on Council. I'm pretty sure it was a Sunday ...

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a memory of a 1949 Dodge pickup. When I was a teenager a friend of mine dads pickup was a 1949 Dodge. Five of us guys had gone to Effingham, Kansas in his dad's pickup so one of the guys could visit a girl friend.

On the way back to Atchison, Kansas the coil went out. We pushed that pickup up the hills and jumped in a coasted to the next hill for about 30 miles. That road had some steep hills. This was about 2:00 am and we had been drinking home made wine and were pretty lit. We were sober as a judge by the time we got back to Atchison. I swore I would never own a Dodge! LOL

Edit: Effingham,KS is only 19 miles to Atchison,KS. Looked it up. It just seemed like 30 miles!

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude!! You know you could drive by the store every once in a while so I can drool ... Btw, did you drive that pick-up over here a week or so ago??
I do not think it was me.
Dudette! I have no idea what store you even work at.
Probably a good thing because I would for sure try to be a pest :)

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not think it was me.
Dudette! I have no idea what store you even work at.
Probably a good thing because I would for sure try to be a pest :)

Haha! Buy4Less at NW 23rd and Council. The place just changed hands and I think the name is gonna change but the employees will remain the same! 😉🤣🤣 You definitely need to stick your head in the door. I only work on the weekends right now though ... Which is fine and dandy with me. 😎🤣😇😇

Latest posts

Top Bottom