I'm drag racing tonight Thunder valley.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am up.
Slow typing.
I beat that mustang to the finish line in a heads up drag race but his ET was better than mine.
Yep a buddys 2015 supercharged mustang 5.0 got to race me side by side.
I treed him and put the 60 foot on him really bad I won by .0595 seconds.

Read all about it!
Pull up a chair it is long winded about all my troubles.

I leave the house about 6 pm much too late. Gates open then.
These sticky 555R tires that are worn down are just brutal in the turns with the Full spool and my skinny tires in the front.Bucking and jerking on every corner.. pushing the front tires sideways instead of turning.
Feels brutal I hate the turns with this combo.

I go to convoy with my mustang buddy and he has not changed his oil yet!!
That is fine I stick around and talk with his dad and uncle.
Then he overflows the oil bucket.. what a mess.
Wife said she was hungry so we jump in the 57 chevy and go to Wendys Hamburgers.
The wait inside took 15 minutes.. well seems they had the order finished and just set it on the counter and never told anyone.
We eat and I finish first and we bug out she has her cold burger and fries in the bag.
Head back to buddies shop and oil change is just wrapping up.

Man it is like 8PM. we got to go man.
Hit the turnpike and my serpentine setup does not like to stay at 4000 rpm as it will slip and squeal.
I cruise 3800RPM which is 67 MPH by buddies 2015 Mustang speedometer.
I did cruise some at 4500+
We get there and it is packed.
I get in next to a fence and next to the far lane to wait for inspection.

Car does not want to restart..Starter solenoid has been acting up when warm and sometimes when cold.
I soak it with 2 bottles of water and wait 30 minutes as lanes are not moving anyway.

No dice she ain't starting.
I pop the trunk and get out my Harbor freight $3.99 ammo can with my tools and flashlight in it.
Yea it is dark outside.

No jack no support vehicle no spare tires.
I Remove battery cable crawl under car and pull starter.
Got solenoid off and flipped the big lug and sanded it with a chunk of gravel I rubbed on the concrete to make smooth like a wet stone.
I also sanded the center washer in the solenoid and stuck it all back together and she busted right off.

While I had my starter almost off the inspector was walking by and I told him I needed inspected and would make a run If I could make the starter work.
I got my number.

Now my buddy made a pass in his Mustang and ran 12.2 at 117.
Ouch! will be hard to beat that.
Other buddy in his heavy long bed chevy truck with carbed 6.0 LS ran 13.5 at 102 3.40 gears and 235-75-15 tires he said it stuck good.

I wait in line with mustang buddy behind me until 10:50 pm to make a pass.
At least we are lined up together.
I do a burnout just out of the water box and she does well and then starts to break up I just do it in first gear.
I look down and tachometer is bouncing between 7300 and 7400 rpm..I lift a bit and keep it at 6500.

Getting sideways now so i lift and do a dry hop or 2 and she is flat sticking but my car is idling like crap.

What the heck! I see 200 rpm on the tachometer and add throttle before it dies.. I saved it but it feels shaky even at 1100 rpm.. I raise throttle to 1800 and it gets better.
Creeping up to the lights and I stage at 2200rpm she is much smoother now.
Buddy is staged and lights are coming down.

I leave on the last yellow and Tree him.
.235 reaction time for me and .685 for him.
He stated I took off and he seen green and was working hard to catch me.
AAAHHHH Come on Mustang!!
I shifted at 7000 rpm each time and crossed at 6700-7000.
Feels down on top end but the overall run felt really good for not having been to the track in a year or more.
And last time I went It ran in the 14's.

He could not make up the hole shot I got on him by the finish line but just a tick after the finish line he blew past me like I was standing still.
As he should with a 2015 Mustang 5.0 coyote Roush supercharged vehicle.
I beat him to the finish by .0595 seconds.
My 12.864 at 100.20 to his.
12.473 at 118.93 MPH.
My 60 foot was 1.728.
His 2.146.

Now I drive to the lanes and get in line for another pass and car is idling in the 400 area I get my timing light and check timing..WHAT!! I do not see the mark where it is supposed to be.
I rev it and it comes around, I have a dial back light.
I check total timing and it is at 25 total. What the heck.
I do not bother to check initial as I know I had it set at 12 initial and 37 total when I left the house. I must be at zero at idle.
I turn the single point Autozone distributor and it turns a bit too easy..I must not have tightened it enough. My fault.
That would explain my MPH.
I set it at 35 to make another pass.
It wheel hops on the second pass and I lift a tick and fix that and back to hammer down. 2.004 60 foot on that pass.
I shift 1-2 at 7000 rpm
I early shift at 6300 ish into 3r gear and it did not like that and then around 6000 is starts breaking up or a bad harmonic sets in and at 6700 it is almost gone and 7000 it is baby smooth.
I am slipping this 4500 stall something terrible.
Lost that race with a 13.145 time to his 11.482.

That race was a V6 Turbo grand national all tweaked and spooled up. I got him out of the hole and he just caught and passed me at the 1/8 mile mark.

Enough talk here are the slips.
I am in the right lane. I have top end MPH harmonic issues.
Can you believe the stock Autozone distributor will go 7000+ rpm

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 239

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Drag radials or slicks??

These are drag radials they were free from a friend at Abel racing as they got into the fenders of a mustang and got all cut up and pretty much used up anyway. They were in the trash recycle tire pile and I dug them out :)
Nitto 555R 275-60-15. They flat HOOK

Latest posts

Top Bottom