I need a garage door opener. Pic uploaded, not for the queezy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned before, but I'd make sure that the springs that assist in lifting the door are not broken and are properly tensioned. Our door has two springs inside tubes and we've broken several of them. When one goes, the opener definitely changes sounds.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This may have been mentioned before, but I'd make sure that the springs that assist in lifting the door are not broken and are properly tensioned. Our door has two springs inside tubes and we've broken several of them. When one goes, the opener definitely changes sounds.
I did this after it blew the smoke. It is balanced 3’ off the ground. I installed the springs a couple years ago with a larger diameter and heavier gauge set of springs I bought from Overhead door. I know 2 people that were severely injured messing with those springs so I paid extra attention during the install. It’s setting the preload that will get you.
This was the last injury. I think he was unloading the springs and something happened. The rod he was using, probably not the right size, pinned his hand against the wall and the rod drove into his hand and almost out next to his thumb. You can see it in the pic.

He was by himself with his hand pinned to the wall. He got out somehow. He’s a tough bastid. Oh, and he texted me this pic right after he got loose.

2FAC8A78-343C-4F7B-8D26-0294E7365B13.jpeg

Last edited:

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the Chamberlain with belt and battery backup. Only thing I've ever replaced on opener is the battery after about 10 years. Battery gets used couple times a year where I live, sure is nice not to have wife open door manually!

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did this after it blew the smoke. It is balanced 3’ off the ground. I installed the springs a couple years ago with a larger diameter and heavier gauge set of springs I bought from Overhead door. I know 2 people that were severely injured messing with those springs so I paid extra attention during the install. It’s setting the preload that will get you.
This was the last injury. I think he was unloading the springs and something happened. The rod he was using, probably not the right size, pinned his hand against the wall and the rod drove into his hand and almost out next to his thumb. You can see it in the pic.

He was by himself with his hand pinned to the wall. He got out somehow. He’s a tough bastid. Oh, and he texted me this pic right after he got loose.

View attachment 206532

Yep, those are dangerous for sure. Especially loosening them, when you're disengaging the ratchet action. I probably shouldn't do them, but I do. I always use rods that fit well, go SUPER slow and try to have my hands and body where they are the least likely to get mangled if it goes south.

All that said, I concur with others, this is a job for a pro.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy smokes, that looks terrible.
I presume we're talking about coil springs (along the door header), and not the extension springs (along the track).

The coil springs are under CRAZY tension when the door is down.
I've had to adjust the spring tension before, but I did it with the door in the full up position (relaxed springs).

Here's what I did: Raise the door manually to FULL open. Use 2 locking channel-locks to clamp onto the track just under the first roller to keep the door raised (clamp both sides). Remove the screws attaching the first and second garage door segments, and slowly swing the first section down. (the first set of rollers are still trapped from the channel locks). You now have access to the springs, with the coil springs being 95% relaxed, Work VERY CAREFULLY and SLOWLY. Reassemble and test.
You'll probably need to do this 2-3 times before you get the right tension.

Yes, the coil springs scare me too. Luckily, I only have 9' wide doors (not the really wide ones).
I suppose I've been lucky so far.

Disclaimer: Absolutely do NOT do this approach. Hire a professional.

Last edited:

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on the Chamberlain.
Kevin @ affordable door. I have used them for years as have my parents at all of our properties.
Add. Call them before u buy. I found out the hard way $100 install is worth it.

Kevin was the name of the guy that came and fixed what our builder's contractor couldnt get right on my high lift garage door with jackshaft opener. Im not sure if it is the same guy or not, we got his direct contact info from my FIL. He was phenomenal and very knowledgeable. His opinion is that the spring pack will make or break any opener regardless of size. The springs should carry the majority of the weight of the door, the opener is mostly there to control the rate of loading and unloading the spring. His very first test was to disconnect the opener mechanism and lift the door by hand. He said if you cant raise it with one hand and it stay at full open when you let go, you dont have enough spring on it and the opener will not have the length of service it should.

Latest posts

Top Bottom