Idiot-Proof Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SIG Sauer P250. Easy, no tool field stripping, no manual safety to mess with, double action only so no snagging the trigger like can happen with Glocks and others with similar trigger safeties. If you're looking for a striker-fired pistol, the the SIG P320. All the above apply.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with what Rod & Buzz said. A S&W K frame immediately comes to mind as an "easy button" choice. The first semi auto I think of when I hear these desired features is the Beretta 92D. As a matter of fact, I consider it the unsung hero of the 92 series guns.

If you've never shot one, it's a DA only 92 with no hammer spur or safety/decocker lever (or cut) on the slide. The trigger pull on the 92D is the closest I've ever felt to a good S&W revolver DA pull. It's about the same length and weight of pull, but honestly it's smoother than most S&W's out of the box. It's so good that a lot of DA/SA Beretta shooters will put "D springs" in their FS or G model to make the trigger pull better.

There's no safety or decocker to manipulate. There's no DA/SA trigger pull to manage. The grip tang is pretty short and the hammer is flush with the back of the slide, so it's pretty snag free (along with few if any sharp edges). Despite the short grip tang, it's almost impossible to get slide bite on it.

Takedown is pretty easy. You don't have to pull the trigger, lock the slide back or line up any witness marks on the slide & frame to do it. Just press the button on the frame and rotate the takedown lever 90 degrees, then slip the slide off. The barrel/locking block will only go in the slide one way and there's only one place to seat the guide rod. About the only knock here is the non-captive recoil spring. Reassembly is merely sliding the slide back on the frame rails and flipping the takedown lever back up. It will only go on one way (believe it or not, I've seen Glock owners completely miss the back frame rails and seat the slide ABOVE them).

About the only downside I can see to one for a novice shooter is the grip size if they have small hands. Despite that, the controls are easy to reach and manipulate.

I've owned a couple of Berettas in the past but got rid of them. If I found a clean used 92D for a decent price, I'd buy it. I'd really like to find a 92D Centurion with night sights as a matter of fact.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think we are giving advice for someone who is new to firearms. Not someone who is unable to keep track of 4 basic parts. Judging by the op's description of the intended use by the owner and their firing schedule, i dont see them needing to disassemble the pistol any time this decade. Seriously, its a Glock. Not exactly a high precision, low tolerance weapon.

money bags gets it. They're not really "idiots", per se. If you think of a car, it's ideal to know every single mechanical detail about your car and its functioning, and how to fix things and avoid problems as they go wrong (this would be like a gunsmith). Realistically, it's worthwhile for ANY driver to know how to change the bulbs, brake pads, tires, oil, fuses, etc., to know what's "bad" for the car (gun) as far as tolerances and such, and when it's time to take the thing to a mechanic or send it to the store (this is your average firearms owner, basically the minimum expectations ownership of something like a gun or car ought to convey in our modern age). But of course, we all know at least one person (of either gender :wink2::rolleyes2) that just doesn't want to bother learning a single detail about their vehicle, other than how to safely drive it without killing themselves. Of course, a driver is only as safe as the machine itself is, but you get my point. Abandoning my crappy metaphor, I think there's also a lot to be said about convincing gun-naive significant others who are not at all interested in firearms to begin with to arm themselves. That's what sort of inspired this discussion.

Thanks for the replies guys. Some helpful stuff to think on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
money bags gets it. They're not really "idiots", per se. If you think of a car, it's ideal to know every single mechanical detail about your car and its functioning, and how to fix things and avoid problems as they go wrong (this would be like a gunsmith). Realistically, it's worthwhile for ANY driver to know how to change the bulbs, brake pads, tires, oil, fuses, etc., to know what's "bad" for the car (gun) as far as tolerances and such, and when it's time to take the thing to a mechanic or send it to the store (this is your average firearms owner, basically the minimum expectations ownership of something like a gun or car ought to convey in our modern age). But of course, we all know at least one person (of either gender :wink2::rolleyes2) that just doesn't want to bother learning a single detail about their vehicle, other than how to safely drive it without killing themselves. Of course, a driver is only as safe as the machine itself is, but you get my point. Abandoning my crappy metaphor, I think there's also a lot to be said about convincing gun-naive significant others who are not at all interested in firearms to begin with to arm themselves. That's what sort of inspired this discussion.

Thanks for the replies guys. Some helpful stuff to think on.

Good metaphor. Money bags and you are right. 90% of shooters will never disassemble their guns. Mainly because they don't shoot them enough and are afraid of anything mechanical involving springs and things that go flying across the room when they take them apart. Its amazing how many never lube them either with the idea that lube attracts dust.
Of course it does, but when we get new shooters are our matches, their guns malfunction because of no lube. They are bone dry for the most part. They don't understand why their guns don't work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom