Idiot-Proof Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming a person knows and follows all of the basic rules of firearm safety, what are some guns that would be ideal for a very casual or novice shooter. Ignore anything like what it's necessarily being used for, as I'm not concerned with what's the best CCW or race gun or something. What are some guns that have simple, preferably tool-less takedowns/cleanings, tolerate abuse, are not easy to ND, and don't have a lot of internals/parts to worry about. For example, I've heard of people putting the "idiot mark" from field stripping their 1911's (I've never owned one), so I assume that one is out. The only other trait I care about is overall quality and reliability, besides the aforementioned things.

One that comes to mind is a makarov, since it has an incredibly easy field strip and few parts. But they're getting harder to find. Glocks seem like another logical choice for almost everything I mentioned, but not everyone likes them, and I've heard about polygonal rifling being slightly more prone to catastrophic failure if you fail to clean them and use dirty/exposed lead ammo.

Does anyone else have ideas?

nuclearabe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Glock 19 and have for a number of years. For an occasional shooter who is just starting out, I would suggest a Ruger P95. Ruger doesnt make them anymore, but they are inexpensive workhorses. You can find them used at many shops. I like the DA/SA for someone who isn't training all the time to help reduce the chances of a ND. If you ever have any issues you can call Ruger. They will do a lot of work without any hassle or, when I've dealt with them, charges.

I also like revolvers. They are really low maintenance and fun to shoot. Once again, Ruger makes a good revolver, the LCR. The DA trigger will reduce the chance of a ND, but that doesn't mean you can be lax with safety. Ever. With any firearm.

The Glock is easy to maintain. Glockheads won't tell you how much they have customized their Glocks to make them decent. It is my favorite EDC pistol and the least fun to shoot, IMO. The grip angle stinks, the stock sights are terrible, but it goes bang when I want, hits what I point it at and is just the right size and weight for EDC.

And no firearm is idiot-proof.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The "not easy to ND" is kind of an odd requirement. That's kinda of like buying a supercar with a reduced ability for speed and handling. You buy a gun to shoot, and since an ND primarily translates to pulling the trigger when you shouldn't have, if it's hard to ND, it's hard to shoot. So I'm not really sure what you mean.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since "very casual or novice" shooters often have trouble with muzzle awareness and keeping the booger hook off the bang switch, I think it is better to train the shooter than try to find an idiot-proof gun. There is no such gun, and the most effective safety is between your ears.
Example: Woman with "simple" revolver ignored instructions to fire double action only, and then was standing there talking over her shoulder with the revolver cocked and her finger inside the trigger guard in CHL class.
Example: Man with striker fired pistol loaded and in hand in CHL class answers cell phone, switches gun to off hand, and starts talking with finger in trigger guard of pistol.

(It IS possible to fail CHL class)

Comment: I sometimes recommend the S&W SD9 for someone who wants minimal training, since it is striker fired with good ergonomics, moderate trigger pull, no external safety, rugged and reliable. However, some who have bought them immediately want to put in a kit to lighten the trigger....:screwy:

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say a revolver but seeing how they can go out of time that may be its down fall. My first pistol was a Springfield xd9 and I would say it's fairly idiot proof on the function and the field stripping.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since "very casual or novice" shooters often have trouble with muzzle awareness and keeping the booger hook off the bang switch, I think it is better to train the shooter than try to find an idiot-proof gun. There is no such gun, and the most effective safety is between your ears.
Example: Woman with "simple" revolver ignored instructions to fire double action only, and then was standing there talking over her shoulder with the revolver cocked and her finger inside the trigger guard in CHL class.
Example: Man with striker fired pistol loaded and in hand in CHL class answers cell phone, switches gun to off hand, and starts talking with finger in trigger guard of pistol.

(It IS possible to fail CHL class)

Comment: I sometimes recommend the S&W SD9 for someone who wants minimal training, since it is striker fired with good ergonomics, moderate trigger pull, no external safety, rugged and reliable. However, some who have bought them immediately want to put in a kit to lighten the trigger....:screwy:

I think Rod pretty much pegs it; ultimately its not the gun, its the shooter that needs whatever sufficient training is needed to get them safe and functional. Some few, like those who were disrespecting the destructive power of their handgun, may be regarded as untrainable.

For those that are trainable but mechanically inept, guns like quality double action revolvers and modern semi-auto's with a simple manual of arms to field strip will work.

You'd think a Glock was inept-proof to bad field stripping; not so. I had one individual bring one into my SDA class that he'd somehow got the recoil spring in backwards. For those somewhat safety inept, maybe they need one that does not require the trigger "click" before disassembly begins. The S&W M&P series (includes Shield) comes to mind as an example. For those individuals with at least average mechanical/safety skills there is a plethora of quality guns out there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom